WHS 2011 with sudden black screen and mouse cursor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there. 

I have suddenly a problem with my WHS 2011. 

One day it did not start up, and I've tried to find the solution for this. I connected it to a screen and keyboard, finding it to say missing bootmanager. So, after changing the startup sequence in the BIOS, it was booting again. Or, sort of.... 

Now it boots, Windows screen is starting for a few seconds and the screen is black. And a mouse cursor appears. 

Nothing more, ALT+CTRL+DEL does not work either. So I think I have this issue here: 

Sevenforums link

So I tried "waynerad2000"s solution, but I cannot change the Permissions of the drive... I just get access denied and the changes is not saved.

Is it possible to do this in CMD? (for administration rights?)

Or: do anyone have any better solutions? 

Friday, February 28, 2014 4:12 PM

Answers

• Hardware failure ? If not it looks like a reinstall or recovery would be the best option .

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:12 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Andy Qi Monday, March 3, 2014 10:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:08 AM
    Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:05 AM
  • Hi,

As Phil mentioned, maybe you should restore the server. In addition, here is an article about how to fix the issue on Windows 8.1, maybe it is useful to us.

How to fix: Windows 8.1 Black Screen and White Cursor After Login

http://www.servethehome.com/fix-windows-8-1-black-screen-white-cursor-login/

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 3, 2014 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hardware failure ? If not it looks like a reinstall or recovery would be the best option .

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:12 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Andy Qi Monday, March 3, 2014 10:40 AM
    Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:05 AM
  • Yes, I though about hardware failure. But if it was a hardware failure, it should probably not boot so fast (or boot at all) through the Windows logo screen? 
    Saturday, March 1, 2014 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

As Phil mentioned, maybe you should restore the server. In addition, here is an article about how to fix the issue on Windows 8.1, maybe it is useful to us.

How to fix: Windows 8.1 Black Screen and White Cursor After Login

http://www.servethehome.com/fix-windows-8-1-black-screen-white-cursor-login/

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 3, 2014 10:42 AM