Fair Trade Commission compaint please sign up RRS feed

• Question

• I installed a nice new hard drive but, because I had removed and old mini solid state drive, I could not use my recovery disk.Long story shot. Eventually downloaded Windows and installed. I had recovered my product key using two types of software, entered that and Windows started WITHOUT ANY INDICATION of a problem.

30 days later flagged as non-genuine. Ring MS. I am asked for Certificate of Authenticity Number on the sticker on the bottom. All the stickers on the three machines I have are still readable APART FROM ALL of the COA numbers. Microsoft must know that these labels rub out yet they have used them for at least five years.

I would like to hear from anyone else who has not ben able to "Genuineize" the Windows because of this sticker.

Microsoft say I must ask Lenovo for a "generic" COA. Lenovo says it does not have such. In any case this is a Microsoft problem. I have wasted hours on this and will not be wasting more. Either I will live with the nag or pay the $100 ransom to get rid of the problems I have with this. 

I am 100% sure that Microsoft is deliberately doing this to increase Windows sales 2-5%. I do not expect to resolve this problem but I will make them pay.

So if you have similar problems pls let me know.

All the best Steve

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:04 PM

Answers

• The protection of the COA sticker is not MS's problem- it's the owner's.

MS used to stipulate on the license that the sticker must be applied to the exterior case of the machine - but before Windows 7 was released, they changed the wording (because of the rise of the laptop, and the number of Keys that were being 'double-used') so that the sticker could be placed inside the case provided that there was a label on the case to that effect. Most manufacturers appear to have ignored the changes.

Dell is the only one that I am aware of that almost completely switched to putting the stickers inside the battery compartment - but then they neglected to place an information sticker on the outer case.

You can try persuading MS to issue you with a new Key (Lenovo almost certainly will refuse to do so unless the machine is still in warranty)...

Attempt Telephone Activation, and speak to an operator - they will tell you that your current Key is blocked (they should then ask for confirmation of your Product Key). Explain to them your problem, that you need to change the Key to the one on your sticker,
    but that the sticker is unreadable (could they please supply a replacement Key?). Hopefully they will ask for documentary proof of the sticker, in the
    form of an email with a picture of the affected sticker - and you can proceed from there.

Sometimes it takes two or three calls before you get an operator who actually knows and uses this procedure - but I know that it can and does happen.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:02 PM

All replies

• Sorry should have added that my CD id number is now "blocked" so even if I had the COA my copy of Windows would not work. Idiots.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:08 PM
  • To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Noel I was not really expecting a solution at this point (I have been told that my copy of Windows has been blocked).I am interested in getting together a complaint to the FTC and hopefully a class action suit against Microsoft for deliberate ... I don't know what we call it but theya re defrauding customers.

So you say you are not a Microsoft employee - really? If so your kindness is much appreciated. But I do not want to put too much more work in on this. I have wasted hours on this and will live with the nag screen or buy a new copy. Lenovo have even said they will reimburse me but I am damned if I will let Microsoft screw them too so have told them that I will not accept their kind offer.

But here we are:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 50
    Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-JKHXW-D9W83-FJQKD
    Windows Product Key Hash: AYaBykmfTHUVW5whGaYMeVJn0/U=
    Windows Product ID: 00359-OEM-8992687-00249
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7601.2.00010300.1.0.003
    ID: {649AF534-3F1B-4E4E-8BBC-9D8F8AF8BCF6}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{649AF534-3F1B-4E4E-8BBC-9D8F8AF8BCF6}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7601.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-FJQKD</PKey><PID>00359-OEM-8992687-00249</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2863764966-4057133890-124072228</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>LENOVO</Manufacturer><Model>IDEAPADY480</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>LENOVO</Manufacturer><Version>5DCN40WW(V2.07)</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="7"/><Date>20121010000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>39CE3A07018400FE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Hawaiian Standard Time(GMT-10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>LENOVO</OEMID><OEMTableID>CB-01   </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.1.7601.17514

Name: Windows(R) 7, HomePremium edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel
    Activation ID: d2c04e90-c3dd-4260-b0f3-f845f5d27d64
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 00359-00178-926-800249-02-1033-7601.0000-1822014
    Installation ID: 018966131056034601930931338660552200826362240554411263

Sorry cannot put links in so have tried to fudge them with xxx in the com part...

Processor Certificate URL: go.microsoft.cxxxom/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    Machine Certificate URL: go.microsoft.cxxxom/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    Use License URL: go.microsoft.coxxxm/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    Product Key Certificate URL: go.microsoft.coxxxm/fwlink/?LinkID=88340

Partial Product Key: FJQKD
    License Status: Notification
    Notification Reason: 0xC004F063.
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 3
    Trusted time: 7/16/2014 10:07:15 AM

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0xC004C533
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 7:11:2014 09:26
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: MgAAAAIAAQABAAIAAQABAAAAAgABAAEAln02FHI+FT8u8rpQAH70jXf2rNteNNoMlmM=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20001
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   LENOVO  CB-01  
      FACP   LENOVO  CB-01  
      HPET   LENOVO  CB-01  
      BOOT   LENOVO  CB-01  
      MCFG   LENOVO  CB-01  
      UEFI   LENOVO  CB-01  
      ASF!   LENOVO  CB-01  
      SLIC   LENOVO  CB-01  
      SSDT   LENOVO  CB-01  
      ASPT   LENOVO  CB-01  
      FPDT   LENOVO  CB-01  
      SSDT   LENOVO  CB-01  
      SSDT   LENOVO  CB-01  
      SSDT   LENOVO  CB-01  

• Edited by Steve Maui Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:51 AM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:50 AM
  • The installed Key is an OEM_SLP Key - only valid on the original motherboard, and only when installed using the manufacturer's Recovery media. It looks from the report (and you've confirmed n your original post) that you've installed using retail media.

You need to try and find the COA sticker that should be on the machine - possibly inside the battery compartment. If there's no sticker, then technically you have no license, and you should check with Lenovo as to what the machine actually shipped with.

The Manual that came with your machine almost certainly advised that you create a set of backup disks - if you did that then they should be used for the reinstall - I don't think they would be fussy over the difference between a hard drive and an SSD. If you didn't do that, then you may be able to order a set of recovery media from Lenovo for a much lower price than a new license.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:07 AM
  • Noel thanks for that.

I said in my first message that the COA was unreadable (as it is on two older laptops I have). This is the reason I am trying to put together a class action as I believe ths is deliberate negligence on Microsoft's part (as was the lack of warning when I installed Windows this time).

I made backup discs and have the official discs from Lenovo. They would not work when I had the SSD in - they needed both the HDD and mini 32 Gb SSD. I thin there is some sort of BIOS issue which prevented using the recovery discs but did not stop me installing the freshly downloaded copy I got from Microsoft.com.

Basically I cannot get the laptop to run with the mini SSD and the new SSD in at the same time, and I cannot run recovery unless the mini SSD is in! Catch 44.

I have a proper Lenovo Y480. I am pretty sure ALL are sold with legal Win 7. I am a well respected journalist/ex journalist. I have Office Professional all duly registered.

Any thoughts of anyone sensible to talk to about this. I have paid for an operating system and am being penalized by Microsoft's anti copying protection (I support them protecting their investment but not srewing customers who act in good faith).

Can I apply to Microsoft for a refund for the operating system that I can no longer use?

TIA Steve

PS congratulations on being able to understand that dump. I have a degree in computer science and that looked like hard work.

• Edited by Steve Maui Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:16 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:14 PM
  • The protection of the COA sticker is not MS's problem- it's the owner's.

MS used to stipulate on the license that the sticker must be applied to the exterior case of the machine - but before Windows 7 was released, they changed the wording (because of the rise of the laptop, and the number of Keys that were being 'double-used') so that the sticker could be placed inside the case provided that there was a label on the case to that effect. Most manufacturers appear to have ignored the changes.

Dell is the only one that I am aware of that almost completely switched to putting the stickers inside the battery compartment - but then they neglected to place an information sticker on the outer case.

You can try persuading MS to issue you with a new Key (Lenovo almost certainly will refuse to do so unless the machine is still in warranty)...

Attempt Telephone Activation, and speak to an operator - they will tell you that your current Key is blocked (they should then ask for confirmation of your Product Key). Explain to them your problem, that you need to change the Key to the one on your sticker,
    but that the sticker is unreadable (could they please supply a replacement Key?). Hopefully they will ask for documentary proof of the sticker, in the
    form of an email with a picture of the affected sticker - and you can proceed from there.

Sometimes it takes two or three calls before you get an operator who actually knows and uses this procedure - but I know that it can and does happen.

Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:02 PM
  • Noel thanks for the pointer re the phone line - useful script.

If they DO give me an access code will I have to rebuild my system? Will I have to switch from this consumer Win 7 to an OEM version?

The machine is (sort of) under warranty still (bought via Amex so you get an extra year) but Lenovo have been so good to me don't really want to do it on their dime.

As to: "The protection of the COA sticker is not MS's  problem- it's the owner's."

Yes and no. Microsoft has a responsibility to manufacture its goods, in this case an important code sticker, in such a manner that the product is fit for purpose. These stickers are simply not. They rub out within a year. 

Users are NOT made aware during installation how important this number is nor are they prompted to store the number which could easily be stored on the HDD. (But that might have security issues.)

• Edited by Steve Maui Friday, July 18, 2014 9:46 AM
    Friday, July 18, 2014 2:38 AM
  • If MS issue you a new Product Key , it will have to be applied while you're on the phone - it's a straight swap-in using the option at the bottom of the System properties page. No need for a reinstall.

Friday, July 18, 2014 6:30 AM
  • Thanks will give it a try next week
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:11 AM