Defrag only the C: drive RRS feed

• Question

• I know defragging is a touchy subject, but I can't find any details about my question.  Is it safe to defrag only the SYS C: drive using the built-in defrag tool?  As far as I understand it, no tombstones or other file system/db files exist there.  Whether or not some form of VSS exists on C: is unclear to me.

I have no plans to touch the D: drive, but C: is heavily fragmented and it would really satisfy my fastidious nature to take care of it.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:28 AM

Answers

• It should be fine, but A) you probably won't see any noticeable (across your network) performance gains, and B) it won't stay defragmented for very long.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Flyersfan Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:35 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:46 AM

All replies

• It should be fine, but A) you probably won't see any noticeable (across your network) performance gains, and B) it won't stay defragmented for very long.
    • Marked as answer by Flyersfan Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:35 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:46 AM
  • Thanks, Ken.  Am I right in the assumption that no DE data or hidden VSS data is written to the C: drive?  Or at least nothing special that would get messed up?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:34 AM
  • Nothing that would get messed up, no. Oh, and remember, "It's unsupported". :)
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:39 AM