Spam or Bug in Live Search Results - English (US) RRS feed

• Question

• Searching for: File Extension Part
    - First page: 8 results from 10 - English (US) but even in other languages/regions

1st - part.extensionfile.net
    2nd - doc.extensionfile.net
    3rd - xls.extensionfile.net
    4th - ppt.extensionfile.net
    etc.

Searching for File Extension Bin

- First page: 5 results from 10

1st - bin.extensionfile.net
    2nd - www.fileextensionbin.net
    3rd - daa.extensionfile.net
    9th - 3gp.extensionfile.net
    10th - extensionfile.net

The following related one page, one month old websites (most on same Class C IP address) are ranking 1st or 2nd for similar search terms too, most probably because the domain name includes the exact key phrase. Checking incoming links for example, they are either non existent or extremely few from unrelated forums or blogs.

www.fileextensionbin.net
    www.fileextensiondll.net
    www.fileextensiondoc.net
    www.fileextensionpdf.net
    www.fileextensionxls.net
    www.fileextensionpps.net
    www.fileextensionrar.net
    www.fileextension3gp.com
    www.fileextensionthm.com
    etc.

Is the above a matter of sub domain spam? Do keyword rich domains monopolize first positions unconditionally? Maybe it's just a glitch from Live Search that will eventually be sorted ...

Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi FusionBob,

I actually spent several days hunting down the whole network (a lot more domains than what you have here). We are working to block all of them from the index. Thanks again for pointing this out to us.

Brett

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:30 PM

All replies

• At the bottom of extensionfile.net homepage and even on each sub domain, you will find hidden images and text links to search engines and .edu sites, hmm!

Any insight on this issue?
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 6:33 PM
  • These sites are still spamming Live to-date. Searching for file extension, they occupy around 35 results from the first 40 Sad
    Google filtered most of these websites in couple days ...
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Almost a month passed from my first post and apart from a note confirming that the above sites are part of a large black hat network, seems nothing has been done or it's taking too much time for some reason. These actions can only encourage more people to abuse again and again of this search engine in my opinion.
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Hi FusionBob,

I actually spent several days hunting down the whole network (a lot more domains than what you have here). We are working to block all of them from the index. Thanks again for pointing this out to us.

Brett

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Hi Brett,

It seems the same people are still in action. Just found out another new website (definitely related), which is managing immediately to rank #1 on Live Search with every subdomain.

fileapplicationerror.com

cthelper-exe.fileapplicationerror.com (1st, before neuber.com)

advrcntr2-dll.fileapplicationerror.com (1st, before dll-files.com)

ieframe-dll.fileapplicationerror.com (1st, before microsoft.com)

1000s of them, all of which are at least 90% duplicate content. The only difference is the automatically generated keyword in the title, on-page links and the garbage text labelled as 'words frequently occuring with the keyword' at the right section of each webpage.

I'm no coding pro, but isn't their code (extract below) hiding daily generated text too?

<span style="display:none">
    <H2>Daily quotes</H2>
    My opinions might have changed, but not the fact that I am right (etc)</span>
    <span style="font-size:x-small;display:none">

Not sure what's your progress on these spammy sites, but they are definitely not giving up!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:29 PM
  • Any update on this?
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 9:39 PM
  • I've been reading these forums for a while and I feel a bit amused with you, FusionBob.

Such persistence... Are you really on a holy crusade or just looking for an easy way to rid yourself of competition that outranked you?

I researched the sites and queries you've mentioned and I would take a wild guess that you are the owner of UniBlue http://liutilities.com and http://filext.com (which is 90% duplicate content of the first one). I would also guess that you are pissed off by the fact that the websites you are complaining about moved you down in SERPs. Bad for you but these websites are no better or worse than yours.

As for "blackhat subdomain spam" try searching for "yahoo", "google", "microsoft" or "free online games". These have been around for a while and I don't see you ranting about them for years.

If you think that nice web-design makes you a respectable company, you should read some user feedback that that your products get like this one: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6138_102-0.html?forumID=31&threadID=116309&messageID=1321562 http://www.whatthetech.com/2007/11/25/do-i-need-a-registry-cleaner/

Further I don't think that http://dll-files.com is a good example of website that should rank high as it violates copyright laws.

Please don't pollute this forums with your personal feuds in the future. If you want to rank higher - go get some quality links and content.

Monday, June 23, 2008 12:34 AM
  • I'm on no holy crusade hehe, neither I am the owner of any of the websites you mentioned. But it's true that I have interests related to the matter in subject, that is why I made more research. I am doing my best to help building a website with original content, getting quality relevant links, etc. Then you find out that other new sites get 1st position using whatever black hat technique. I understand that reporting abuse is everyone's right and is even encouraged by search engines, then it's up to them I guess to check what is legit and what is not.

Anyway, thanks for your comments, at least you opened my eyes that some things take ages to get sorted, or maybe never will.

Please accept my apologies if I poluted this forum.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 5:42 PM
  •  Brett Yount wrote:

Hi FusionBob,

Brett

It's been over 4 months and extensionfile.net is still around. Not only, but on same IP there is now also extension-file.net. Check all sub domains, they are exact replicas: content, hidden links, etc.

Just thought to point it out, for what it's worth.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 1:13 PM