Changing video card RRS feed

• Question

•  I just set up WHS last night and now wish I'd not used the video card I had in this system.

ASUS A7N8X deluxe, AMD XP1900, 512 ram, 2 WD250 sata, nvidia GF3ti 500 AGP

Question is can I change to a plain old pci 8mg S3 or similar without alot of grief or reinstall of whole OS.?? 

Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:45 AM

Answers

• Yes, you should be able to change video cards.

You'll shut down the server and swap video cards. Then you'll restart the server, and once it's booted, you'll log in using Remote Desktop. It's possible that WHS will recognize your video card and want to install a specific driver for it. If so, let it. It won't hurt anything. If it doesn't recognize the card, cancel back out of the new hardware wizard, making sure to check off the "never ask me about this hardware again" box.

At that point, you'll either be using the driver that WHS shipped with, or you'll be using the standard VGA driver. It doesn't actually matter which one you use, because WHS is intended to be used as a headless appliance.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:28 AM

All replies

• Yes, you should be able to change video cards.

You'll shut down the server and swap video cards. Then you'll restart the server, and once it's booted, you'll log in using Remote Desktop. It's possible that WHS will recognize your video card and want to install a specific driver for it. If so, let it. It won't hurt anything. If it doesn't recognize the card, cancel back out of the new hardware wizard, making sure to check off the "never ask me about this hardware again" box.

At that point, you'll either be using the driver that WHS shipped with, or you'll be using the standard VGA driver. It doesn't actually matter which one you use, because WHS is intended to be used as a headless appliance.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:28 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response, and the answer I was hoping to hear(read)
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:31 AM
  • You should be able to shutdown WHS, turn off and unplug the WHS machine and simply remove the video card, then hook up the machine and turn it on again. Headless servers do not need video, however your motherboard may not like the idea.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:25 PM
  • Even and old Nvidia Geforce2 mx 100/200 is recognised and installed. works perfect without an attached monitor. Loggin on via remote desktop does the job !
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:28 AM