New WHS motherboard - ASUS M2NPV-VM or M2N-E? RRS feed

• Question

•  

After quite a bit of rummaging around, I think I've settled on this motherboard for a new WHS build.

Further specs:

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=0&model=1138&modelmenu=1

The reasons I think it would be right for me:

Built in vga - silent and low power usage

Takes AM2 CPUs, so can get very cheap energy efficient cpu

Four 3gbs SATA

Built in gigabit LAN

For lower power I'd consider a non-VGA board that runs headless, but it seems a bit like pot luck whether any particular board will POST without a graphics card in?  For example, the M2N-E looks good, but only if it will POST headless?

Does anyone have experience of this board - either with WHS or Server 2003? Any reasons why this wouldn't be a good WHS board?  All comments welcome!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Really, I dod not think that board is good, since all that HDTV when WHS will not use it, and for sure, it will take some resource from the OS.

I test WHS boot ok WITHOUT a need for VGA card, my suggestion, to see a board without a built-in vga, and look for a board that have like 6 to 8 sata connectos, as well if it will support external sata (e-sata) as a good ides.

Buy these cheap pci vga card, install the WHS, then you will not need it, remove the vga card and WHS will boot fine.

I test that with Asus motherbard as well Gigabyte one.

My best.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:47 PM
  • Just about all modern motherboards can boot without a video card. Both of the boards you mentioned don't support AHCI. If AHCI is important to you I'd suggest the M2A-VM.

For me having a smaller board is more important than being headless and it's getting more difficult to find boards smaller than ATX without onboard video.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:02 PM
  • I purchased this board just for this purpose and everything is fine.  I have it running while only conncted to AC power and the wired network in a closet in my house.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:07 PM
  • Sorry Phil, could you just clarify - which of the boards do you have?

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:20 PM
  • Sorry.  I have the Asus M2NPV-VM and it is running the beta just fine and has for weeks.  I had the same question that you have and I posted a question on this board asking how could I be sure that I could get drivers for whatever board I chose.  The basic answer is that if there are Win XP drivers then you are fine. 

I purchased this for a good price via ebay and got a processor, memory and case at a very good price including free shipping via amazon.com.

I had first looked at this board for my living room media center pc which I built earlier this year using an Intel DG965WH and Vista.  For the server I wanted to be using very little power.  I got a low wattage cpu and antec case and power supply.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:23 PM
  •  

Phil I have this board as well but I can't find drivers for the onboard lan.  What drivers are you using? and where did you get them, I've tried the asus site, the nvidia site but nothing works.  I get a driver installed but then it can't start.

Thanks for any help.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:02 PM
  • I honestly don't remember exactly because now I am actually running MCE 2005 with this board and I have its sound and video modulated to a TV channel for viewing on any TV.  I do know that drivers listed for XP work for Windows Home Server.  I believe I first installed the drivers from the included CD but if anything they are on the Asus site.

Monday, October 29, 2007 4:22 PM