Can I install WHS 2011 over Windows 8 Home? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a relatively new Dell Inspiron 660s with Windows 8 Home 64-bit pre-installed.

I would like to replace the OS with Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit.

Do you think it would be relatively feasible to install WHS 2011 to replace the Win 8 OS?

Inspiron system is Intel Celeron CPU G465 @ 1.90 GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive.

Thanks for any helpful responses,

Marc Miller

Monday, October 7, 2013 2:46 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server 2011 doesn't support a domain, so you would not be able to get that functionality. See Microsoft's product page for more information about the capabilities of the OS.

However, you will probably find it very limiting if you do decide to try using Windows Home Server. It's designed to have you install the OS and then leave it sitting quietly in a corner with little further interaction other than as a simple file server; installing a lot of additional software is neither recommended nor supported, unless it's a Windows Home Server add-in.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, October 21, 2013 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:56 PM
  • If your intent is to use the machine as a desktop computer, I would advise strongly against installing Windows Home Server, or any server OS.

Monday, October 7, 2013 5:36 PM

All replies

• If your intent is to use the machine as a desktop computer, I would advise strongly against installing Windows Home Server, or any server OS.

Monday, October 7, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.   To clarify, my intent would be to use the machine as a server only.  I currently have 5 laptops using it as a file and SQL Server data server.  I would like to

be able to have network sign-ons and capability.

Monday, October 7, 2013 9:23 PM
  • You will need to follow the Hardware Minimums for any OS like: 64-bit or 32-bit, Amount of Memory, or Speed of the CPU, etc...

If your Laptop meets these for the OS you want to install. Then have at it!

You might want to connect some external USB Hard Drives for storage (Client Backups, Server Backups, Client Shares) etc...

You can also use most Virtual Environments like Virtualbox or VMWare Player. And again you will want to follow the Hardware Minimums for the inside of these Environments.

Good Luck!

Bruce Hobson IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.

• Edited by Bruce.Hobson Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:59 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Bruce.Hobson Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:00 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:59 AM
  • Windows Home Server 2011 doesn't support a domain, so you would not be able to get that functionality. See Microsoft's product page for more information about the capabilities of the OS.

However, you will probably find it very limiting if you do decide to try using Windows Home Server. It's designed to have you install the OS and then leave it sitting quietly in a corner with little further interaction other than as a simple file server; installing a lot of additional software is neither recommended nor supported, unless it's a Windows Home Server add-in.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:56 PM