none
Just added a new HD to WHS and it isnt letting me transfer files to it. Why ? RRS feed

• Question

• I just added another 1.5 TB Seagate HD to my WHS running on a Dell Poweredge SC420 after space was running low. Now I'm trying to transfer more media files to the server and it keeps saying there is not enough HD space to copy files and promps me to clean-up disk space. Why wont it let me use the new hard drive? I added it the correct way in the WHS console and it says the total size is 2.82 TB and the free space is 1.37 TB. But then when I go to the computer it says I have 73.3 GB total and 3.85 GB free. Whats going on? I hope this is enough info to get a clear response.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:26 PM

Answers

• I would recommend you open the Windows Home Server console and use the Update button repeatedly until it reports there are no more updates to be installed. Your server is running the original RTM software from 18 months ago, and likely your current issue arises from that. In addition, Power Pack 1 (released several months ago) fixed a rare but serious error in Windows Home Server, one which could cause data loss.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:58 PM

All replies

• I just added another 1.5 TB Seagate HD to my WHS running on a Dell Poweredge SC420 after space was running low. Now I'm trying to transfer more media files to the server and it keeps saying there is not enough HD space to copy files and promps me to clean-up disk space. Why wont it let me use the new hard drive? I added it the correct way in the WHS console and it says the total size is 2.82 TB and the free space is 1.37 TB. But then when I go to the computer it says I have 73.3 GB total and 3.85 GB free. Whats going on? I hope this is enough info to get a clear response.

What are the component numbers on your server (open the Console, click the Settings button, then Resources tab)?  Are you trying to copy files to the server through the network shares (i.e. \\server\public)?
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:04 PM
  • The component numbers are:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1500.6

No I'm not trying to copy files through a network share. I have an external drive hooked directly up to the server. I just deleted some files and am continuing to try and copy files to it but it keeps saying it's low on disk space.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:25 PM
  • I would recommend you open the Windows Home Server console and use the Update button repeatedly until it reports there are no more updates to be installed. Your server is running the original RTM software from 18 months ago, and likely your current issue arises from that. In addition, Power Pack 1 (released several months ago) fixed a rare but serious error in Windows Home Server, one which could cause data loss.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:58 PM
  • I did the update thing until it says there are no more updates available and it is still doing the same thing. It says I have the free space in the WHS console but when trying to copy files over it still promps me to clean-up disk space.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 4:26 PM
  • What version numbers are reported in the console now?
    Friday, April 10, 2009 4:38 PM
  • I've ran all the updates and cannot install anymore.  I'm running an evaluation copy and want to see if I like this OS but its obviously giving me problems with the drive pooling. The current version number is still the same. Does it have to be activated before it will allow you to install more updates or something? And, is this some kind of issue with the drive pooling feature having noted problems? I thought I would just be able to add the new hard drive without any problems. I ran a complete checkdisk on it and did and error check with all of the space adding by the new hard drive showing up. It still says it doesnt have free space to copy new files to.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 3:16 AM
  • I've ran all the updates and cannot install anymore.  I'm running an evaluation copy and want to see if I like this OS but its obviously giving me problems with the drive pooling. The current version number is still the same.

It still says 6.0.1500.6 for everything?  If so, that's your problem.  Are you trying to update through the WHS Console (by clicking the Update Now button)?  If so, are you getting any error message?  If so, exactly what does it say?

Does it have to be activated before it will allow you to install more updates or something?

Not to my knowledge (I know you can get updates without activating if you are installing the full OEM version).  But you could try activating it and see if it helps.  In any case, if you want to use it for more than 30 days, you must activate it.

And, is this some kind of issue with the drive pooling feature having noted problems?

Not once you install all of the available WHS updates.

I thought I would just be able to add the new hard drive without any problems. I ran a complete checkdisk on it and did and error check with all of the space adding by the new hard drive showing up. It still says it doesnt have free space to copy new files to.

Sunday, April 12, 2009 3:40 AM
  • Yes it still says 6.0.1500.6 for everything. I updated from the WHS console and it says there are no more available.
    I've tried removing the drive and readding it to the pool but still no luck.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:19 AM
  • Yes it still says 6.0.1500.6 for everything. I updated from the WHS console and it says there are no more available.
    I've tried removing the drive and readding it to the pool but still no luck.
    Removing the drive from the pool won't help.  The problem is you are missing a bunch of updates.  Did you try activating your eval?  Have you installed any add-ins or apps on your server?
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:44 AM
  • Removing the drive from the pool won't help.  The problem is you are missing a bunch of updates.  Did you try activating your eval?  Have you installed any add-ins or apps on your server?

I havent been prompted to activate it yet. I have installed a couple of programs on the server, but I dont think they would be causing the issue. At this point I'm willing to try and reinstall the OS and try again.
    If I remove both 1.5 TB drives from the pool, then reinstall the OS, do a hardware stripe raid on the two 1.5 TB HDs and add them as one drive... will that work out better? Or should I just try readding the drives to the pool after intalling all available updates to the fresh system?
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:02 PM
  • I havent been prompted to activate it yet. I have installed a couple of programs on the server, but I dont think they would be causing the issue.

You never know...  FYI, installing any app on WHS is unsupported.  However, before you go through the whole install process, did you try rebooting your server (then going back and check for more updates)?

At this point I'm willing to try and reinstall the OS and try again.
    If I remove both 1.5 TB drives from the pool, then reinstall the OS, do a hardware stripe raid on the two 1.5 TB HDs and add them as one drive... will that work out better?

RAID is unsupported on WHS.  You can try it if you want, but I would advise against it.

Or should I just try readding the drives to the pool after intalling all available updates to the fresh system?
    If my above suggestion didn't work, I would try a fresh install with just the one drive.  Once the installation is complete, before you do anything else (install apps/add-ins/additional hard drives), do all available updates for the server (using the Update Now button in the WHS Console).  Keep updating (and rebooting) until it says you have no more updates.  Once that's done, hopefully your component numbers will be higher than 6.0.1500.6.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Ok I went with a fresh OS install after above all didnt work. Everything seems to be going fine now. I was able to install the power-pack and all available updates and the version number is now reading 6.0.2030.0. No more updates are currently available. I added the two 1.5 TB HDD to the DATA partition in the Console and just promoted it to a domain controller. Now before I start transfering my files back onto it, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Also is there a 2 TB space limit for the DATA partition or something? I was speaking to a friend about this issue and he said it may be because I am over 2 TB. Is this an issue?
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:06 AM
  • Ok I went with a fresh OS install after above all didnt work. Everything seems to be going fine now. I was able to install the power-pack and all available updates and the version number is now reading 6.0.2030.0. No more updates are currently available. I added the two 1.5 TB HDD to the DATA partition in the Console and just promoted it to a domain controller. Now before I start transfering my files back onto it, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Yes, WHS cannot be part of a domain.  Setting up WHS as a DC is a violation of the EULA (and, as I recall, it will do strange things with your server as well, including periodic reboots).  In addition, that could be why you were having problems with your updates before.  You can try changing back to a workgroup, but I think you might have to do another Server Reinstallation in order to change it back.

Also is there a 2 TB space limit for the DATA partition or something?  I was speaking to a friend about this issue and he said it may be because I am over 2 TB. Is this an issue?
    The 2 TB limitation is per physical hard drive (due to the old style MBR partition table, the way WHS formats drives).  In order for any computer (WHS or otherwise) to see a single drive above 2 TB, it must be set up with GPT.  However, since you added each drive individually (instead of using one big RAID array), you shouldn't have any problems from that.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:02 AM
  • I thought WHS needed to be configured as a domain controller. The last time I installed it the system started shutting down after 7 days exactly. The event logs stated that it was because it need to be a DC.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:12 AM
  • I thought WHS needed to be configured as a domain controller. The last time I installed it the system started shutting down after 7 days exactly. The event logs stated that it was because it need to be a DC.
    Because you are trying to make it part of a domain (which you can't do).  It needs to be left as a workgroup (not a DC or any part of a domain).

Keep in mind, WHS is designed to be simple-to-use.  All functions of WHS should be accessed from the Console.  If you can't do what you are trying to do from the Console, it's unsupported and shouldn't be necessary.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:53 AM