none
Investment list RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Hopefully someone will be able to help with this issue.

Over the years I have bought and sold many different shares and funds which wee duly entered into MS Money. The problem I have now is that when I create a new investment transaction, such as add to an existing position, I have to search through the massive drop down list of all the shares / funds I have ever owned.

Is there a way to edit this list so it only displays the investments that I actually hold. I do not want to delete investments as then I will be lacking historical information in reports.

Thanks for an help. 

Friday, July 22, 2016 2:39 AM

Answers

• As noted in previous responses to Tristan_UK's questions, there is no way to remove items from that dropdown list.  However, the list appears in alphabetical order so you can rename an investment that you no longer hold so that it appears at the end of the list and your current investments appear first.  Unfortunately, you have to do this one investment at a time so it is a bit of a chore.

To rename an investment that you no longer own you need to be able to select it.  To get to it, go to the "Portfolio view" screen and select "Change portfolio view" and check "Show closed positions".  This will show all your past investments.  Then you can right-click on the investment, select "Investment Details" and the resulting screen will show a box "Rename....".  Click on it and you will get a pop-up where you can change the investment name from say, "Acme Tools" to "zAcme Tools".  This will put "zAcme Tools" at the end of the dropdown list.  Repeat for any other investments that you want to consign to the end of the list.

Let us know if this helps.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:35 PM

All replies

• One thing I did to simplify searching through the list:  When I no longer have any shares of a particular stock/fund, I rename it by inserting a "z" as the first character of the name.  This causes the old names to sort last and I can find a current name more easily.

Another possibility is to mark only the current investments as "ones to watch" and then use the watch list to select the name from.

Friday, July 22, 2016 4:20 AM
  • Those are very handy tips, thanks very much.
    Friday, July 22, 2016 4:28 AM
  • In Portfolio Manager, you can select "Change portfolio view" and uncheck "Show closed positions".
    Friday, July 22, 2016 4:55 AM
  • In addition to the other tip, you might try entering the stock symbol into the box and pressing the tab key. Expect the box to populate with the corresponding security name.
    Friday, July 22, 2016 2:23 PM
  • Sorry for this obvious question - how do I insert z in front? Do I have to do it per each line in the asset account?
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:09 AM
  • In the asset account, right-click on the investment and select "Go to investment:".  That brings you to the Investment Details screen where you can select the "Rename...." box to rename the investment.

Bill Becker

Saturday, March 18, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Hello,

Hopefully someone will be able to help with this issue.

Over the years I have bought and sold many different shares and funds which wee duly entered into MS Money. The problem I have now is that when I create a new investment transaction, such as add to an existing position, I have to search through the massive drop down list of all the shares / funds I have ever owned.

Is there a way to edit this list so it only displays the investments that I actually hold. I do not want to delete investments as then I will be lacking historical information in reports.

Thanks for an help. 

Hi Tristan_UK

Did you get a satisfactory answer to this? My dropdown list is hugh and need to reduce it. 

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:07 AM
  • As noted in previous responses to Tristan_UK's questions, there is no way to remove items from that dropdown list.  However, the list appears in alphabetical order so you can rename an investment that you no longer hold so that it appears at the end of the list and your current investments appear first.  Unfortunately, you have to do this one investment at a time so it is a bit of a chore.

To rename an investment that you no longer own you need to be able to select it.  To get to it, go to the "Portfolio view" screen and select "Change portfolio view" and check "Show closed positions".  This will show all your past investments.  Then you can right-click on the investment, select "Investment Details" and the resulting screen will show a box "Rename....".  Click on it and you will get a pop-up where you can change the investment name from say, "Acme Tools" to "zAcme Tools".  This will put "zAcme Tools" at the end of the dropdown list.  Repeat for any other investments that you want to consign to the end of the list.

Let us know if this helps.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Bill

Many thanks for this. Much appreciated! I guess, from previous posts, I was not able to work out how to actually remane with a "z" prefix. Tried your suggestion and am very happy with the solution. I can now live with not required items as "z" prefix.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Bill

Many thanks for this. Much appreciated! I guess, from previous posts, I was not able to work out how to actually remane with a "z" prefix. Tried your suggestion and am very happy with the solution. I can now live with not required items as "z" prefix.

Need to perform the "z" marking again but the options "Show watch accounts" and "show closed accounts" does not do anything. The portfolio view remains the same and do not get a pop up screen anymore.
    Monday, January 13, 2020 7:05 PM
  • It's unlikely to help, but try "Change Portfolio Setting>Display and tick the "Show Closed Positions" box.  When that doesn't work, try the File>Repair Money File>Quick File Repair.

Bill Becker

Monday, January 13, 2020 11:27 PM
  • It's unlikely to help, but try "Change Portfolio Setting>Display and tick the "Show Closed Positions" box.  When that doesn't work, try the File>Repair Money File>Quick File Repair.

Bill Becker

Tried this but no joy. The only way I can make these to work is to reopen the closed accounts individually. Then these appear appear in the portfolio with "show closed position" ticked.
    Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:06 AM
  • It's been awhile since I looked at these investment issues, and I now realize that my advice above is not correct.  You can, in fact, remove an investment from the dropdown list by deleting the investment.  See Portfolio Manager> Work with investments>Delete an investment.  You can only delete investments that have zero holdings, of course. 

Deleting an investment does not delete the transactions for that investment.  You can still see all the transactions, even in closed accounts.  But  I believe that you can no longer see other things like the investment Price History, Investment Details, etc.

I must caution you that there have been reports that deleting an investment will foul up the net worth over time report.  I do not find that this is the case as long as I take care to select the closed investment accounts when I run that report.  But I have not investigated this carefully so there may be some effects that I have not observed.  Also I am running US Money Sunset and earlier versions may behave differently.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:26 PM
  • It's been awhile since I looked at these investment issues, and I now realize that my advice above is not correct.  You can, in fact, remove an investment from the dropdown list by deleting the investment.  See Portfolio Manager> Work with investments>Delete an investment.  You can only delete investments that have zero holdings, of course. 

Deleting an investment does not delete the transactions for that investment.  You can still see all the transactions, even in closed accounts.  But  I believe that you can no longer see other things like the investment Price History, Investment Details, etc.

I must caution you that there have been reports that deleting an investment will foul up the net worth over time report.  I do not find that this is the case as long as I take care to select the closed investment accounts when I run that report.  But I have not investigated this carefully so there may be some effects that I have not observed.  Also I am running US Money Sunset and earlier versions may behave differently.

Bill Becker

Thank you for this. This is interesting and will try it out on a Test file (i.e. copy my current mny file to Test.mny). As long as the net worth over time works with closed accounts, I am happy with it!

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 6:45 PM