none
Advice on studying (SQL Server)

Question

• Hi

This may seem like a stupid question but I need help on studying. I plan on taking my SQL Server 2012 exams and I have all 3 training books (70-461, 70-462 and 70-463). I just wanted some advice on how best to study? Is it a case of just reading through it and practicing or is there a better way? I don't just want to pass the exams I want to be comfortable and confident I know what I am doing!

Some things I would like to improve on are performance tuning such as being able to understand the query plan and knowing when an index is needed, I have played around with this but I am not sure when there are too many columns in the index. Does anyone have any advice or can point me to a good website or book?

Thanks

Sam

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I read the training kit book chapter by chapter and played around with the technology. Additionally I read up a lot on MSDN (and because I have a books24x7 subscription, I also read chapters of other SQL Books to get more details about some topics where I found the training kit to provide not enough details).

So the core plan is good in my eyes. But you should really do a lot of practice - not only the small ones that are given after each chapter. So it is not a "quick reading" of the Training Kit only. I think that this wouldn't be enough without the deep practice. (I passed my exams but at the end you get this printout where you see how many % you reach on which topic and I was able to see a big difference between items where I had a lot of practice and stuff which wasn't that important for my job so I did less practice.)

(But I didn't do the 70-461/2/3 exams - I got a SQL Server 2008 certification "only".)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 9:56 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I read the training kit book chapter by chapter and played around with the technology. Additionally I read up a lot on MSDN (and because I have a books24x7 subscription, I also read chapters of other SQL Books to get more details about some topics where I found the training kit to provide not enough details).

So the core plan is good in my eyes. But you should really do a lot of practice - not only the small ones that are given after each chapter. So it is not a "quick reading" of the Training Kit only. I think that this wouldn't be enough without the deep practice. (I passed my exams but at the end you get this printout where you see how many % you reach on which topic and I was able to see a big difference between items where I had a lot of practice and stuff which wasn't that important for my job so I did less practice.)

(But I didn't do the 70-461/2/3 exams - I got a SQL Server 2008 certification "only".)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 9:56 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Konrad,

Thanks for your sharing.  In fact I tried studying the MCSA exams (70-461/2/3) as well but found it extremely difficult.  I basically have no real work experience on SQL Server but have been self-studying it.  I took the MTA fundamental course and I believe I can handle the knowledge of it.

It looks like the MCSA exams are not for beginners like me and one better have couple years of work experience as a developer, before considering taking these exams, would you agree with this?

At the moment I forget the exams and just 'play' with the server - apart from having the AdventureWorks, I created my own small Database and play round with the tables, try to make myself familiar with it, I wish to become a data analyst and hope I'm on the right way.

Thank you for your advice.

Peter

Monday, July 3, 2017 8:31 PM