Windows Home Server 2011 and Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Here's my issue.

I have several external hard drives which have all my movie and music collections. I've been trying to figure out how to stream these to my ps3 or xbox 360.. or to my laptop through my wifi, maybe even when I'm travelling. I've tried various software, none of which work very well. Most of my movies are in .mp4 format, which causes another issue.

My thoughts were to install Windows Home Server 2011 in order to solve this problem. The issue is, I have windows 7 installed on my desktop, and I'd like to keep it in case I need it in the future. I've searched forums and what not, and it appears the best way is for me to buy a second hard drive for the windows home server install.

Will this work? Will windows home server allow me to stream my content? Also, will purchasing another hard drive allow me to install it? I created a partition of 250gb on my current hard drive to install it, however the install screen can't find it. It just shows the entire hard drive. So would getting a second hard drive solve that issue?

Also, I've heard that Windows Home Server turns all your hard drives into one combined hard drive. I have an issue with this because I sometimes unplug my external hard drives... when travelling or lending them to a friend. Would unplugging them from my desktop cause problems? Is there any way to keep the hard drives separate and now allow windows home server to combine everything, allowing me to remove and add the hard drives whenever I would like?

I also don't care to use the windows home server to back anything up. I have my own means of backing up my stuff. I don't need the home server for that. Is there a way to turn that feature off? Would that help keep the hard drives separate? 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:24 PM

Answers

• I really can't recommend using Windows Home Server as a desktop operating system. Best practice is to install Windows Home Server on it's own hardware, move your media to your server, and then set up server backup to back everything up to an external drive so you can take a copy off site on a regular basis.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:53 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:47 PM