System Restore of Vista to a new Harddrive RRS feed

• Question

• Has anybody tried using the WHS restore function to restore the Vista system partition to a new (formated and partitioned) harddrive.  I'm sure that will work but my next question gets a little toughter.  Has anybody tried restoring a Vista system that WAS running on a raid0 array to a single drive setup.  I have determined that the new 500 GB drives with a 32MB cache run almost as fast as my old 250GB drives running as raid0.  So rather than run a total rebuild of Vista I would like to put WHS restore to the test.  I have been running WHS for several months and it seems to function as advertised - it just does its thing each night.  I have uninstalled Acronis and given up on Ghost and sold my backup sole too to WHS.

Monday, April 20, 2009 9:12 PM

Answers

• Just for information - I used the latest version of Acronis (CD Bootable) to clone the Raid0 array to a single 500G drive and much to my surprise Vista came up running on the new drive with zero issues!  I did change the BIOS to IDE instead of Raid but I'm not sure if that was necessary.  Anyway problem solved.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:52 PM

All replies

• In general, windows Home Server backup/restore was designed to do a bare metal restore to an identical hardware configuration. Switching from RAID to non-RAID may be difficult, depending on how your computer is configured now. The possibility exists that your computer will blue-screen when you attempt to boot of fthe new drive. If that occurs, the best advice I can give you is to set your HDD controller to legacy IDE mode before you boot, and install the additional drivers required for your controller in non-RAID mode (if any) in Windows. And don't be too surprised if Windows re-enumerates all your partitions. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 20, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Just for information - I used the latest version of Acronis (CD Bootable) to clone the Raid0 array to a single 500G drive and much to my surprise Vista came up running on the new drive with zero issues!  I did change the BIOS to IDE instead of Raid but I'm not sure if that was necessary.  Anyway problem solved.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:52 PM