Outlook 2007 locks up frequently

Question

• I've recently switched to Small Business Edition Office 2007 - pre-installed on a new Dell laptop. Everything is fine EXCEPT Outlook 2007, which locks up every 30 minutes or so, always just after something that involved a database write. eg New Calendar appointment, Contact update, email moved to a different folder, Task edited, etc.  That means it can be caused by just about any kind of edit, but it does not occur every time - just rather frequently!

Sometimes it locks completely, and I have to use Task Manager to close Outlook, sometimes it just stops updating the Reading Pane, sometimes goes into a perpetual flicker as if in a loop. Feels like it's something to do with the database, but I guess it could be the video driver interface. Is this a recognised problem with Outlook 2007? Anyone with any ideas?  Thanks.

(Notes: OS=Vista Business Edition. Contact Manager is installed, but I don't use it. I've tried going back to "Factory Install" and re-loading my PST file from backup. I've also confirmed exactly the same symtoms on a different Dell laptop running Vista Ultimate.)

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:18 PM

Answers

• Hi all... I found this on another post - seems to help (so far...)

I had similar problems with Outlook 2007 -- frequency crashes, with function
    restored after restart, only to crash again. Microsoft Technet forum postings
    from 2006 addressed this problem in Outlook 2007 Beta, noting that Adobe
    Acrobat's PDFMaker Add-in to Outlook disables program's normal operation.
    PDFMOutlook add-in can be removed via the Trust Center menu in Outlook Tools
    menu (under COM Add-ins). If permissions not properly set in Office 2007, the
    add-in cannot be removed and you receive the inscrutable message "The
    connected state of Office Add-Ins registered in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE cannot be
    changed." Permissions can be changed by right-clicking the Office 2007
    program icon in the Start menu and selecting Properties, then Security, then
    Edit Permissions. After PDFMOutlook was removed by this procedure, my Outlook
    2007 crash problems seemed to be resolved.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 9:05 PM

All replies

• I have the same issues ALL DAY long it is very frustrating , Are there any fixes!!

Thanks

Monday, August 06, 2007 3:02 PM
  • My guess is that the different parts of Outlook 2007 (Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, etc) are tripping over each other during updates to records in the PST data file that they share - i.e. there is a bug in the data file management software. I am hoping that this forum is scanned by someone from Microsoft who can give us some news on when a fix will be available.

Anyone here from Microsoft??

(please...)

John

Monday, August 06, 2007 4:20 PM
  • Same story here.  Dell Inspiron/Vista Business...Lock ups appear unavoidable and once happened while Outlook was running in an open window but not being used actively.

Friday, August 17, 2007 1:46 PM
  • Hi all... I found this on another post - seems to help (so far...)

I had similar problems with Outlook 2007 -- frequency crashes, with function
    restored after restart, only to crash again. Microsoft Technet forum postings
    from 2006 addressed this problem in Outlook 2007 Beta, noting that Adobe
    Acrobat's PDFMaker Add-in to Outlook disables program's normal operation.
    PDFMOutlook add-in can be removed via the Trust Center menu in Outlook Tools
    menu (under COM Add-ins). If permissions not properly set in Office 2007, the
    add-in cannot be removed and you receive the inscrutable message "The
    connected state of Office Add-Ins registered in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE cannot be
    changed." Permissions can be changed by right-clicking the Office 2007
    program icon in the Start menu and selecting Properties, then Security, then
    Edit Permissions. After PDFMOutlook was removed by this procedure, my Outlook
    2007 crash problems seemed to be resolved.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 9:05 PM
  • Thanks for that idea, but I don't have that add-in. The only non-microsoft add-in I have is McAfee - does anyone else with this problem have McAfee installed?

Also, a post elsewhere suggested that virus scanning of email by McAfee (or any other vendor) does not add any security to that built in to Vista & Outlook 2007. Does anyone know if this is true?

Incidentally, I tried thisprocess for removing a COM add-in. I got the permissions changed, so that I now show 'Full Control', and 'Ownership', but I still get the "cannot be changed" message. (I restarted Outlook to check whether that was needed.) I was trying to remove the McAfee add-in to see if it made any difference.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 9:39 AM
  • I have the new Dell Inspirion 1720, Vista, MS Office Small Business, Mcafee and I am having the same problems with Outlook 2007 just quits responding. The Task Manager shows it is running but Outlook will not respond to mouse clicks or allow keyboard input. I would think as many Dell's sold that there would be a update fix by now... If so is it available on Microsofts update page. I get all their updates automatically. Need some help!
    Monday, October 01, 2007 7:57 PM
  • I have a 1725 that is doing the same thing.  I also can't get the task manager to come up in order to shut down Outlook.  I need help too!!!

Thursday, November 01, 2007 3:45 PM
  • I too have the same issue, and therefore share your concerns about the needed fix. Hopefully, this will happen sooner than later. Please keep me in the loop, should you receive any personalized mail attachment fixes from microsoft engineers. At this point I am locked out of my old profile, as scanpst completes stage 6/8 and then provides me with a error message that indicates scanpst could not complete, therefore no changes were made to the pst file. Perhaps we should all be asking for some sort of timeline, since these problems were published well over 3 months ago?

Thanks,

Brett

Friday, November 02, 2007 9:11 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  In addition to locking up, I sometimes can't get Outlook 2007 to open at all without rebooting my computer.  I have Office 2007 Ultimate and use it frequently in my business.  I will have to switch to a different product because Outlook 2007 is simply not useable/reliable at this time.

Monday, November 05, 2007 3:37 AM
  • Thanks mbryn, and all those others who picked up on this thread. In 3 months there's not been a single response from anyone at Microsoft, so I deduce that Microsoft are hiding from the problem - or to put it another way, Outlook must have a really serious problem.

There have recently been some updates to both Vista and Office which my machine picked up automatically - these seem to have helped, but I don't know which made a difference. Outlook still freezes, but the recovery is now usually better.

I also UNinstalled Business Contact Manager, which I was not using. Maybe that was a factor - don't know!

Anyone from Microsoft listening?

Monday, November 05, 2007 9:23 AM
  • Add me to the fix list.  I also have a new Dell, MS Office for small business and McAfee pre installed.  All works fine but Outlook.  In fact in addition to a normal lock up I used to get a recurring McAfee message box indicating "Processing Messages" and when 100% was scanned it would simply start over and over again.  During the recurring scans Outlook was unusable.  I believe I have this fixed by deleting the Outlook connector and readding it and Hotmail.  The frequent locking of Outlook still occurs.

Friday, November 09, 2007 6:18 AM
  • JohnHUK: When I first posted this I though it was a solution; it's not - just an improvement. See my latest posting. 5 Aug 08

Original post: Solution - or improvement at least:

I started this thread, and have finally answered it myself. MS acknowledge that there is a problem with large PST files, but buried the information in a KB article about something else, with a by-line "and also fixes..." however, there is a real improvement available as a download.

Go to this KB item for information. It's not a complete answer to the response problems, but it did make Outlook useable for me:   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932086/

Incidentally, no thanks to anyone at Microsoft for failing to mention this in the 3 months and over 1000 views that this thread has been running.

Friday, November 09, 2007 7:22 PM
  • I have been having the same issue with Outlook 2007 locking up. the issue is frequent for a day or two and then will seem to disappear for a week or two before recurring. i have downloaded the update you mentioned in an attempt to fix the issue and still suffer intermittently.

my OST and PST have been rewritten a couple of times to try and resolve this issue- to no avail.
    Friday, November 16, 2007 3:58 PM
  • I have an Inspiron 1505 with Vista and Office 2007 Professional, and I have been frustrated from day one with similar problems to what I have been reading here.  After countless hours working with Dell and Microsoft, I finally worked with a Microsoft tech that went back to the old school diagnosis method of shutting off all programs and adding them back in one at a time.  The culprit turned out to be my Google Toolbar.  I shut it off and the machine ran much faster and had no lock up problems for over a week.  I added it back in and the machine slowed down and locked up on the second day.  I removed the program completely, and everything is running fine.  I hope this helps.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:19 PM
  • Re JohnHUK's followup: 

I've been having the same Outlook 2007 freezing problem ("not responding").  I use Vista Ultimate in a Dell notebook.  In my searching I found the same 932086 "answer" from MS but since Outlook freezes most anytime the problem is not associated with large files.  I do have the PDF Add-in (referenced earlier in this thread) on my system and I will try disabling it once I can get past the permission hurdle. 

Sunday, December 30, 2007 7:50 PM
  • I have the same problems.  Brand new Dell Inspiron 1520 running Vista with Office 2007.  Outlook constantly locks up or crashes alltogether.  Very frustrating.

My boss says he is experiencing the same problems on his computer.
    Wednesday, January 02, 2008 10:55 PM
  • To all:  I think a previous poster locked on to the problem...add-ins preinstalled or later added seem to lock up Outlook in Office 2007.  My earlier post indicated a compatibility problem with McAfee so after seeing no difference a month later (Outlook still locking up)  I simply turned off the McAfee add-in.  That fixed my issue as far as I can tell.  Certainly other add-ins may have the same effect.

Thursday, January 03, 2008 4:12 PM
  • me too on a new del vostra 1000 with 1gig ram. have yet to be able to open a single email. i have a very large in box. 2500 items in in box.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:48 PM
  • My Dell Inpiron 1420 has Vista Business Edition which has Outlook with Business Contact Manager.  I can't be sure my lockups are the same as all those described in this thread, but my problems completely disappeared after removing the Business Contact Manager.  This can be done in Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:25 PM
  • I have this same issue still in March. Have evers since I upgraded to Outlook 2007. The PST file KB article is not the issue in my case, because I do not use a PST file. I also have not add-ins except McAffee.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:22 PM
  • I have this same problem with my Compaq C571NR, running Vista Home Premium and Office 2007 Business, so Dell cannot be blamed for the malfunction.  I also have 2 gig ram, so physical problems are not to blame either.  I believe, however, that there may be an incompatibility problem with antivirus functions with Outlook 2007. I am using Avast and began having problems after the antivirus installed a program update.  Thought it is a bit dangerous, try turning off the antivirus option and see if it cures the problem.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:10 PM
  •  

Well it looks like Microsoft will never fix this. Is there another client that works with Exchange?
    Monday, April 14, 2008 10:31 PM
  •  

We've had this issue across our network.  I found that removing non standard add ons fixed this.  in our case I-tunes addon was the culprit.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 2:43 PM
  • I have an HP Pavilion with Vista Home Premium running Office 2007. I use Outlook with BCM and I have OfficeCalendar to share files. I have the same problem with Outlook shutting down, I have disabled all add ins except OfficeCalendar. There doesn't seem to be a fix for this. I called Microsoft to see if they had fixed this problem and they told me it was the first they had ever heard about it. I have seen many forums discussing this and can't figure out why Microsoft has not fixed this problem.

PLEASE Someone fix this!!!!!

Thursday, May 01, 2008 2:50 AM
  • does anyone know what version of exchange your office is running, in cunjunction with your outlook 2007 that is locking up?  we are NOT on the newest version of exchange, yet.  Is anyone using Exchange 2007 and NOT having a problem with big outlook files locking up outlook 2007?

Thursday, May 01, 2008 1:35 PM
  •  

We are not running  Exchange. There are only two of us, so we use the Office Calendar from Lookout, to share everything. Is there anyone else who is not running Exchange that is having this problem?
    Thursday, May 01, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Hello to all readers,

Yes, I'm another slave to MS Outlook 2007 lock-ups.  The problem only happens for me when I use an Outlook profile that uses .PST files (download from POP3 accounts).  However if I use my other Outlook profile to a local Exchange 2000 server, then I don't ever recall having the problem, so the issue certainly looks to be associated with .PST files in my case.  My PST file is currently 1.2GB and the frequency of lockups is increasing.

I do have CA Security Center installed, which includes Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam, Anti-Spyware and a Personal Firewall, but I've tried disabling the Anti-Spam component to dignose the Outlook 2007 lockups, but unfortunately this hasn't fixed the problem.

Windows XP SP3 installed, Outlook 2007 (12.0.6300.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000)  Security Mode is default.

One thing that I have noticed in the last week or two however, is that Outlook no-longer detects that the previous Outlook 2007 session had crashed, and that on re-opening the email profile concerned it used to indicate that the email database needed to be self-checked for errors - this automatic self-check process no-longer happens.

Good luck everyone,

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:54 PM
  • Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager seems to be the culprit - at least in my hours and days of troubleshooting this Not Responding / hanging / crashing Outlook problem.  It started following working with BCM and then going back to work in my Outlook Calendar.  If I changed views in the Calendar (from Month to Day, for example) it would intermittently Not Respond.  The problem got worse.  I could work in my Email, Contacts, and Task just fine; not Calendar.

Now I can rarely use BCM without it hanging afterwards when attempting to open the Calendar.  Microsoft techs have given me a new profile, deleted Google desktop, deleted my AVG anti-virus, updated my SQL 2005 to the latest (I am NOT running on Exchange, but a lone Dell Latitude D630 brand new laptop with Outlook 2007 w/ BCM pre-installed to run my business).  Tech's answer at this point is that my data in BCM is flawed - he created a new blank database and did not encounter the Not Responding hang.  So I was charged the $50 fee because my problem was 'solved' - it was my data.  Solution -- re-type in all of my data into this new BCM database.

I did that, and it crashed again.  It is not my data.  At least not what I am entering.  Who knows what is happening to it afterwards!!  There has to be an incompatibility problem with Outlook and BCM.  I need it fixed to run my business!

Oh, I also removed BCM at one point at Outlook seemed to work fine.  Problem is I NEED BCM.  I had to reinstall it and then got my problems back.

Please let us know when there is an answer!

Monday, July 07, 2008 1:55 AM
  • Update on my situation:

A new profile was made for me, I retyped all of the data in BCM to make sure the data had not been corrupted.  But it still froze the Calendar and I had to End Task and restart.  So I have uninstalled BCM, went back to using my original Profile, and so far I have not had any problems with my Calendar Not Responding.

As for software to replace BCM, I had to move to an online project management and invoicing software to run my consulting business.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 1:44 AM
  • We have the same issue with outlook 2007 crashing.  Here is what we have found so far:

1)  The crashing starts after installing Office 2007 sp1

2)  Outlook crashes when using the instant search (not everytime, but probably 1 out of every 3 searches)

3)  If the reading pane is turned off, outlook will not crash anymore when doing an instant search

4)  The event viewer (under administrative tools) logs errors like this when outlook freezes: 

"Failed to determine if the store is in the crawl scope (error=0x8001010d)"

Also, our office computers all have approximatley 10 different pop3 email accounts on them, not sure if this information is usefull or not.

Just thought the above information might help someone find a solution.

Friday, August 01, 2008 3:03 PM
  • I have discovered, rather by accident, that if I excluded Outlook 07 from the Windows indexing feature on, I could avoid the lock-ups.  I did this about two weeks ago and have had it lock up once since.  Try it, maybe it will the solution.

Monday, August 04, 2008 11:00 PM
  • It is now clear that Outlook itself is fundamentally the source of this problem , not any of the many add-ins, virus scanners, etc, mentioned in the thread. I note that these include other Microsoft products, such the Indexer and Contact Manager. Basically the PST file is being accesses by multiple processes, but is not being managed as such by Outlook. That, in my personal opinion, is the beginning and end of the problem.  I would guess that some part of Outlook is still living in MSDOS single-process land, and this leads to the screw-ups.

You can get further evidence of Outlook itself being the problem by running the Microsoft tool SCANPST. I use it regularly and every time it finds errors / corruptions.

Microsoft, in my opinion, need to replace the PST file with something a bit more like a database. Perhaps a cut-down version of Exchange is the answer. But the current product is a disgrace to the whole Office family. Anyone at Microsoft listening?

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Anybody know of a good lawyer ? Class action lawsuit ?

Steve Henson

Friday, December 12, 2008 5:04 PM
  •  

Thanks a ton for this post.  Add-ins were defintely my problem.  I have Outlook 2007 with BCM, and I've been experiencing far too many lockups.  I was just about to abandon BCM when I found this post.  I disabled a number of add-ins, the most noteworthy of the bunch was the iTunes addin.  Also, I disabled the Google Desktop Outlook toolbar, and the GoToMeeting Outlook Addin.  Not sure which was the culprit, but I'm convinced Addins were incompatible with BCM (or visa versa).  Thanks for this post.

ctm

Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:38 AM