Client Connector fails to install with The Installation is Cancelled RRS feed

• Question

• The Connector is failing to install on only one PC. The install process seems to run fine until the progress bar is about halfway complete. And on the server, it actually creates a record for the computer. But then the install moves ahead really fast to almost the end of the status bar, stops, and goes back to the beginning. Then it returns a message saying:

The Installation is Cancelled

The Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has encountered an unexpected error. Click Close to undo most of the changes that were made to this computer.

I'm in over my head and am looking for help. I think what caused the problem was this PC was previously connected to another WHS which died suddenly so not all WHS software and client add-ins (ex: LightsOut) could be cleanly uninstalled. And I think some remaining files or tasks are preventing the connector from installing now.

I'm guess this because I looked at the ClientCore.msi.log file and found the following which seems to indicate where the problem occurs. But like I said, I'm in over my head. So I don't know if this really is the problem and, how to figure out which files or tasks need to be deleted to allow the install to continue.

ClientCore.msi.log Excerpt....

MSI (s) (98:28) [20:04:01:204]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=AddScheduledTasks,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=CAQuietExec,CustomActionData="C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\runtask.exe" /asm:"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Server\Bin\ClientSetupCommon.dll" /class:Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ScheduledTasks.ClientTasks /method:AddScheduledTasks /task:AddScheduledTasks /suppressException:true)
    MSI (s) (98:BC) [20:04:01:219]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI5D01.tmp, Entrypoint: CAQuietExec
    CAQuietExec:  System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700B7)
    CAQuietExec:     at TaskSchedulerV2.ITaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, ITaskDefinition pDefinition, Int32 flags, Object UserId, Object password, _TASK_LOGON_TYPE LogonType, Object sddl)
    CAQuietExec:     at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.SchedulerVersion2.RegisterTask(TaskDefinition definition)
    CAQuietExec:     at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ScheduledTasks.ClientTasks.AddScheduledTasks()
    CAQuietExec:     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    CAQuietExec:     at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
    CAQuietExec:     at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object parameters, Object arguments)
    CAQuietExec:     at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
    CAQuietExec:     at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.Program._invokeMethod(Type classType, MethodInfo mi)
    CAQuietExec:     at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.Program.Main(String args)
    CAQuietExec:  Error 0x80131604: Command line returned an error.
    CAQuietExec:  Error 0x80131604: CAQuietExec Failed
    CustomAction AddScheduledTasks returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    01/21/2017 20:04:01.485 [1432]: Assembly Install: Failing with hr=80070005 at RemoveDirectoryAndChildren, line 393

I know I could be totally off-base. But I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions. I really need to get this working so that my backups can run again.

• Edited by Loondawg Sunday, January 22, 2017 2:25 AM grammar
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 2:24 AM

All replies

• Which OS is the client? Has it ever worked? If W10 search this Forum for the missing folder problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, January 22, 2017 8:58 PM
  • You may be onto something with the missing folder. I just stumbled onto that one while researching this. So I just created the folder and am just about to reboot to test it. Was closing tabs when I saw your suggestion.

It's a Windows 10 Pro client. It had the connector installed for a different server and stopped working. I created a new server and am trying to attach to that. So connector has worked on this PC in the past. But not since upgrading to 10 with either the old server or the new server.

I have a second nearly identical PC from a hardware perspective also running Windows 10 Pro. The connector install worked flawlessly on that PC connecting to the new server.

But I am just about to reboot so I will post an update with the results shortly.

Thanks,

Monday, January 23, 2017 5:44 AM
  • Same problem. Same errors in the log about "Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

Do you have a particular Forum thread you were thinking of? I've tried searching and am not sure I'm finding the note you're referring to. The one I found eariler mentioned creating a folder named "Windows Server" in Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows. That's what I just tried that failed. So I'm wondering if that is the same suggestion you mentioned.

Monday, January 23, 2017 6:21 AM
  • Yes, that's the one - a simple solution that worked for many of us! Assume you have removed the Connector, rebooted both client and server?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, January 23, 2017 6:16 PM
  • Yup. I had rebooted both the client and server.

Same problem with the log still reporting it can't create a file when that file already exists. This really seems to be that something was left over from the previous installations (registry key, files, scheduled tasks, etc.) For example, I found a key with the value "Windows Home Server 2011 Dashboard"  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server

Any ideas?

Here's the latest log excerpt that seems to be recording where the problem occurs.

MSI (s) (BC:E8) [13:48:02:590]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=AddScheduledTasks,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=CAQuietExec,CustomActionData="C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\runtask.exe" /asm:"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Server\Bin\ClientSetupCommon.dll" /class:Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ScheduledTasks.ClientTasks /method:AddScheduledTasks /task:AddScheduledTasks /suppressException:true)
    MSI (s) (BC:40) [13:48:02:606]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSIDAD8.tmp, Entrypoint: CAQuietExec
    CAQuietExec:  System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700B7)
    CAQuietExec:     at TaskSchedulerV2.ITaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, ITaskDefinition pDefinition, Int32 flags, Object UserId, Object password, _TASK_LOGON_TYPE LogonType, Object sddl)
    CAQuietExec:     at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.SchedulerVersion2.RegisterTask(TaskDefinition definition)
    CAQuietExec:     at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ScheduledTasks.ClientTasks.AddScheduledTasks()
    CAQuietExec:     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    CAQuietExec:     at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
    CAQuietExec:     at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object parameters, Object arguments)
    CAQuietExec:     at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
    CAQuietExec:     at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.Program._invokeMethod(Type classType, MethodInfo mi)
    CAQuietExec:     at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.ProviderFramework.Program.Main(String args)
    CAQuietExec:  Error 0x80131604: Command line returned an error.
    CAQuietExec:  Error 0x80131604: CAQuietExec Failed

Monday, January 23, 2017 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

In general, it is recommend to uninstall the Connector via Control Panel – Programs and Features. 

If there is stale installation files, some cleaning tools might be helpful. Microsoft had provided the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to clear stale installation files, however, is it is no longer available from Microsoft Official Website now.

Article “SBS 2011: Troubleshooting Client Deployment” has mentioned some possible reasons that may cause the Connector installation failure, including stale registry entries, just for your reference:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3941.sbs-2011-troubleshooting-client-deployment.aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:09 AM
  • Thanks. I appreciate the response. Unfortunately I no longer had the Connector in my list of installed programs. And that's one of the notes I had previously gone through but nothing there helped.

Sure sounds like that Windows Installer Cleanup Utility would have been nice to try. Wonder why they killed it?

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

This is Microsoft official Statement about - What happened to the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (MSICUU2.exe):
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/290301/what-happened-to-the-windows-installer-cleanup-utility-msicuu2.exe

If the problem persists after you trying the method in Article “SBS 2011: Troubleshooting Client Deployment”, you may consider of 3rd party tool to clear the stale installation files. Or, back up important data and have a system re-installation. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately that technote was one of the first things I tried, with no success. And unfortunately this is that one PC in my setup where an OS reinstall simply isn't a viable option. So if I can't resolve this, it may finally be time to give up on WHS.

But I am willing to try almost anything. Do you have any suggestions for programs to clean up stale installations? I've tried basic stuff like CCleaner. But I suspect you're talking about something different.

Thanks again,

Friday, January 27, 2017 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

Check to see if article - Instructions to Uninstall Windows Home Server-Connector – would be helpful:
    http://softuninstall.com/remove-windows-home-server-connector-by-microsoft2.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Note that:
    Back up important data/system before any change. It is helpful for restoration if there is any problem happens after the change.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 4:46 AM