Showing Wrong Product Key/ID Numbers RRS feed

• Question

•  

I recently did a maintenance check on my XP Pro SP2 computer and while checking computer info I found that my Product Key and ID Numbers are not what they should be . The following is what is showing as my Product Key *****-*****-6BKXT-M8JJ6-RPXGJ, Product ID 55274-640-1464517-23621.

These numbers were numbers on a copy of XP that I found to be pirated which I destroyed. I  bought an original Full Version of XP and installed it. On the orange label  the Product Key is showing the following *****-*****-C49VV-9PBYQ-2V7D6 and the Product ID is 55274-640-4174741-23193, I still have the box that the cd came in.

I'm not having any problems at the moment with OS but I would like to have the correct information shown in case of a future problem.

Is there anyway that I can show correct Key/ID #'s without having to do a reinstall?

Sunday, July 8, 2007 7:11 PM

Answers

• eyebdang:

As others have mentioned, you can change product keys without reinstalling (to your genuine one) using www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx.

I would suggest filing a piracy report at www.howtotell.com (specifically this link http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx). While your current use-VLK isn't "Blocked" persay, it probably will be eventually as we "tighten-the-reigns" persay. We constantly contact the owning corporations and have them change product keys while we block other ones leaked onto the internet, etc.

That being said, keep the media you have. It will eventually get blocked, and under those circumstances, you can submit a High-Quality Counterfeit report (available only when you fail validation) to recieve a FREE WGA Kit as a reward. That way you don't have to spend money. Smile.

I hope this helps, and thanks for being so honest!

-phil

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:37 PM

All replies

• Windows Product Key Update Tool Instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PKUInstructions.aspx
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 10:30 PM
  • Eyebdang53,

The Product ID (PID) on the current installation of XP Pro has a second number set of "640" which is associated with a Volume Licensing installation of XP Pro.  A genuine full retail license CD would NOT do an installation with the result being a PID with the "640" number set.

Could you follow these steps?

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, July 9, 2007 2:11 AM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6BKXT-M8JJ6-RPXGJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: 5nTiWPHCccmBwT7jn+WSWXJC39g=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-1464517-23621
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {43CC05F9-0192-4050-A03C-743B8CB9B938}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{43CC05F9-0192-4050-A03C-743B8CB9B938}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RPXGJ</PKey><PID>55274-640-1464517-23621</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1645522239-1708537768-1417001333</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTELR</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20050120000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>6EB932D701846062</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57510</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Re: Step 2 This computer is home built with Windows XP Pro SP2 my COA Label looks similar to the Retail COA (Released in August 2004}. It says WOD587008_5_1 -100505 TEAM:MSIN

Windows XP Professional English Intl CD w/SP2 Made In Singapore. Above that is the UPC Bar then under that is E85-02667 then under that PO 6000073807 Line 5. Interwoven in the Port-Hole is the metallic thread with the word GENUINE. There is no mention of OEM anywhere on the COA.

Monday, July 9, 2007 4:57 AM
  • Eyebdang53,

Your current installation of XP Pro is indeed a Volume Licensing installation rather than the retail license installation that you want to achieve with the (presumably genuine) materials that you purchased at retail.

Line 11 of the report shows the license type:  Windows License Type: Volume

The recommended solution to guarantee that your XP installation is fully genuine and not infected with the rootkits and malware that are often associated with nongenuine and/or Volume Licensing installations is to use the genuine hologrammed XP Pro CDROM that came in the retail package to do a clean installation of X Pro onto your computer.  Here is a good tutorial on how to do a clean installation:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html  A clean installation will destroy all user data on the Hard Disk Drive, so be sure to back up and offload any valuable data before you do the clean installation.

If a clean installation cannot be done at this time, your next best option is to use the Product Key Updater Utility as mentioned by Carey to change your installation from a Volume Licensing installation to the genuine retail license that you purchased.  Here's that link again:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PKUInstructions.aspx

Unfortunately, I have some bad news for you:  Your Office 2003 Pro installation is showing as Nongenuine (Office status=114 means nongenuine).  If this comes as a surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased the installed copy of Office and let them know that it is a counterfeit copy and that you demand the genuine copy that you paid for, or a refund.  In any case, please uninstall the nongenuine installation of Office 2003 as soon as possible.  Or you can participate in the Office Genuine Advantage program that offers a significantly discounted copy of Office 2007 to those who are the victims of nongenuine Office software.

Post back and let us know how it's coming along!

Monday, July 9, 2007 12:17 PM
  •  

Well Dan, first I took the advice mentioned by Carey. sorry to say I wasn't able to change from a VL installation to the genuine retail license that I purchased. Then I did what I was dreading to do a Clean Install unfortunately that didn't work either. I don't understand how this other Product Key keeps showing when it's not the Product Key on the Orange Label.

I did uninstall the Office 2003 Pro and I intend to buy a genuine copy. I'm going to send you another diagnostic report and maybe you see something that will help me this time. If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6BKXT-M8JJ6-RPXGJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: 5nTiWPHCccmBwT7jn+WSWXJC39g=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-1464517-23848
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {4C43F147-0330-4D17-B229-2D263E8DE3B9}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{4C43F147-0330-4D17-B229-2D263E8DE3B9}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RPXGJ</PKey><PID>55274-640-1464517-23848</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1004336348-1606980848-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTELR</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20050120000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>00B932D701846062</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>DFI INC.</name><model>LP875B REV.B1</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{911B0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Word 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>77E71966C1FC170</Val><Hash>ElknmXL+paC7yfBOGNn1/lFSSlY=</Hash><Pid>54189-OEM-1690705-10232</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

It's looking the same to me even without Office Professional 2003. Please HELP.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Eyebdang53,

Assuming you followed the steps for doing a clean installation at www.michaelstevenstech.com and the result is still a Volume Licensing installation, this calls into question the CD you purchased.

Two things to look for:

1.  Look very closely at the hologram on your CD.  Is the hologram on a very thin label affixed to the top of the CD or is it actually embedded within the plastic of the CD?

2.  Navigate to the setupp.ini file in the \i386 folder of the CD's files.  This is a small text file with two sections.  Please post the data in the second section, it's one line of fewer than 12 characters.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:16 AM
  • I've done numerous clean installs before so I'm familiar with the procedure.

1. I looked at the hologram on the CD very carefully and it is embedded within the plastic of the CD.  Around the hole it has a wavy like label embedded with the word GENUINE along with some numbers.

2. I hope this is what you're talking about Pid=55274270, the other text file is about Accessible Setup Answer File I didn't see any other text files.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:17 PM
  • Eyebdang53,

The PID value with "270" as the last three numbers (or with 640-649 as the last three numbers) is a solid indicator that this CD has Volume Licensing bits on it.

Assuming that the hologram on the CD is indeed embedded within the plastic of the CD, can you compare it to the examples at the top of this page:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/Product.aspx?displaylang=en&pid=220d451e-930f-4a37-8256-a9ce067690ba&cID=&method=volume?  If yours is a genuine Volume Licensing CD, we would expect it to have a green silk screen in the upper right.

Let us know....

Friday, July 13, 2007 12:32 AM
  • Dan, after careful examination of the cd I have come to the conclusion that I have a High-Grade Counterfeit Software of Windows XP  Pro SP2.

I have put in a Piracy Report, too bad I wasn't aware of this sooner. I'm out of my money and a  Genuine Software.

I purchased this software about a year ago so I don't know what compensation I can get from this but I'm happy to know what to look for in the future, it's true you learn from your mistakes.

I've also found out that other customers have been taken by this same seller which I bought the OS from, here's a sample

http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/goodylink/u/1866756/2/.

Thank you so very much for your helpfulness and kindness without your guidance I would still be in the dark concerning this matter.

BTW, since I'm still being validated as Genuine, can I use this OS a little longer until I get a TRUE GENUINE Windows XP? Will a Windows XP Pro w/SP2(FULL VERSION) Single Pack OEM be good to use if purchased from ZipZoomFly I'm more familiar with their policies and would swear by them.

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:09 PM
  • eyebdang:

As others have mentioned, you can change product keys without reinstalling (to your genuine one) using www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx.

I would suggest filing a piracy report at www.howtotell.com (specifically this link http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx). While your current use-VLK isn't "Blocked" persay, it probably will be eventually as we "tighten-the-reigns" persay. We constantly contact the owning corporations and have them change product keys while we block other ones leaked onto the internet, etc.

That being said, keep the media you have. It will eventually get blocked, and under those circumstances, you can submit a High-Quality Counterfeit report (available only when you fail validation) to recieve a FREE WGA Kit as a reward. That way you don't have to spend money. Smile.

I hope this helps, and thanks for being so honest!

-phil

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:37 PM
  • Thank you Phil for your reply, as mentioned in my previous post I have filed a Piracy Report already. After my VLK is "Blocked" I will follow your advice and submit a High-Quality Counterfeit report. I truly hope I'll be able to receive a FREE WGA KIT.

I have persude this issue because I believe in honesty and in this instance it really seems to be paying off.

Thanks again.

-yvonne

Saturday, July 14, 2007 3:01 AM