Contribute error on read-only files:Cannot write to the destination file. Access denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using SyncToy 2.0 to backup files from my notebook (XP Pro) to a NAS disk, so am using the "Contribute" action, and all files that are flagged as Read-Only are not getting copied and are returning the following error:
    Cannot write to the destination file. Access denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

All files that are not read-only are copied fine, and when I copy the read-only files across manually using explorer, that works fine too.

This seems to me to be a bug in SyncToy. Does anyone know a work around apart from turning off the read-only flag for all my files (this will not be practical), or if a fix is available?

Cheers,
    Brando
    Monday, March 16, 2009 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hi, Brando
    Can you provide us more information, like what are the formats of the XP pro and Disk(NTFS or FAT32 ..)?
    Also what type of the readonly files? (like .doc or .txt)

if the first time sync the readonly files failed, what sync the folder pair again? still failed?

what about copy the failed files only to a new folder still on the XP Pro, and create a new folder pair with "Contribute" action the same scenario as that one. will it work?

Thanks,
    Baoke
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:16 AM
  • Hi,
    same problem for me, Vista 64, operation ECHO source NTFS destination Network share (SMB). Retry the operation does NOT help. file type does not matter (tried with .txt .pdf .c .h .doc .xls ....). As long as the source file is READ_ONLY operation fails, regardless if you copy it somewhere else. Looks like source and destination are somehow mixed up, or source file is also tested if it is possible to be owerwritten.
    Would be nice if there is a fix for this problem.
    Thanks,
    Ognian
    Ognian
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:47 AM