backups RRS feed

• Question

• Two questions for the group

For backups should I use the regular Vista backup or the OneCare backup?

That said the OneCare backup is requiring me to be an administrator to run the backup command the only problem is that I'm already trying to run it as an administrator any ideas?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:43 AM

Answers

• Steve,

thanks for the response.

I'm used to NTBackup and the option to backup whatever I want. Since I'm running Ultimate I'll use it's backup routine to make things happen.

Take care

Sam

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:26 PM

All replies

• For the first question, it is pretty much a personal choice. The benefit of using the OneCare backup is that it is scheduled via the same interface and if it fails or encounters a problem, OneCare's icon will change color to warn you of an action required. You won't have that with the Vista built-in backup. On the other hand, if you have Vista Business or Ultimate, it adds the capability for a full PC backup, which is not something you can do with OneCare.

For your second question, I have some first -

1. Is this on Vista?

2. What version of OneCare are you using?

3. What is the backup destination you are attempting to use?

-steve

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:31 PM
  • Steve,

thanks for the response.

I'm used to NTBackup and the option to backup whatever I want. Since I'm running Ultimate I'll use it's backup routine to make things happen.

Take care

Sam

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:26 PM
  • In Vista Ultimate, I would strongly recommend using the full PC backup which is available. I personally used it to restore my PC in 45 minutes after swapping out a failing hard drive. Go ahead and disable the OneCare backup option and use the Vista backup functionality as desired.

Take care,

-steve

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:39 AM