Can't Make PC Hub RRS feed

• Question

• I needed to reinstall my operating system on my hub PC.  I uninstalled OneCare before I formated and rebulit the computer. 

I then reinstalled One Care.  It will not let me make this PC the hub PC.  In retrospect I guess I should have turned the PC off as a HUB before I uninstalled.  There must be a server record of the old PC as the HUB and now it wont let me make this PC the hub.  They are actuall the same PC but I rebuilt with Vista 64 and it does not have the same name as it use to.

I dont understand why I can find a page that simply lists my PC's so that I can manage them once I am logged into Windows LIVE.

OneCare is working but I dont seem to have the abilty to have a hub PC as I think Windows Live still thinks the old PC is the HUB

How can I make this PC my HUB?

Thanks

JW

Sunday, October 12, 2008 3:02 PM

Answers

•  

I reinstalled and the on the second boot it gave me a screen with a fix it button.   I clicked it and it said it restarted the service then everthing was working fine.

I am all set ....  Thanks for writting back.... I wish I could give some great advice on how to fix this but it fixed iteself on the second install.

Monday, October 13, 2008 7:54 PM

All replies

• More info

I have two subscriptions to Windows Live becuase I have more than 3 pc.  I did use the same windows live ID for this PC that I used before so I dont think this is and issue. 

Additional Question:  I have two CD's.  Do I have to make sure I installed with the same CD?  When I do to HELP/ABOUT I see the same live ID's but the Product IDs are differnet.

Thanks

JW

Sunday, October 12, 2008 3:46 PM
  • There is no online management page for this functionality, unfortunately, but OneCare should not care that the PC was a hub before or not after the reinstall. If you are unable to make the PC a hub, does it give you an error?

You may want to contact support on this.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 7:11 PM
  •  Freestone wrote:

More info

I have two subscriptions to Windows Live becuase I have more than 3 pc.  I did use the same windows live ID for this PC that I used before so I dont think this is and issue. 

Additional Question:  I have two CD's.  Do I have to make sure I installed with the same CD?  When I do to HELP/ABOUT I see the same live ID's but the Product IDs are differnet.

Thanks

JW

Using either subscription should allow the PC to be a hub, but the Circle it becomes a hub for will differ of course.

The CD used to install would not matter. In fact, once you have a subscription, the CD serves no purpose other than to refer to the product key if you forgot the LiveID and needed to contact support. You can install and activate by going to http://onecare.live.com and getting the trial download.

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 7:15 PM
  •  

I reinstalled and the on the second boot it gave me a screen with a fix it button.   I clicked it and it said it restarted the service then everthing was working fine.

I am all set ....  Thanks for writting back.... I wish I could give some great advice on how to fix this but it fixed iteself on the second install.

Monday, October 13, 2008 7:54 PM
  • I'm glad that the problem is resolved, even though it took a reinstall and then OneCare was able to repair whatever it saw to be a problem at that point.

-steve

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:35 PM