Backups to network share on machine no longer in network RRS feed

• Question

• Configuration:

xppro sp3 Desktop with OneCare, was backing up to a network share and a server.  The server was replaced (failed) and new server created.  One Care will not allow any form of browse to reset the backup location.  It reflects the CD/DVD and and entry to the non-existent machine and has no method to point it elsewhere.  Ignoring for a moment the pathetically unfriendly 'Reinstall' recommendations pervasive to all the Forums for MS/OneCare, has anyone found any shorter routes to the solution?  And while I rant (which is tantamount to asking to be ignored here) how is it that a product whose very existence was related to the beration of MS and their 'unsecured' environment, is now reflective of the overcompensation of Vista/IE8 etc and is quickly becoming as complex as Symantecs products? (read: heavy/overfeatured)

Where is the registry entry for this so it can be overridden? 

sig - I HATE vista and recommend to any/everyone to ignore its existence!  yes, packet performance is a tad faster, and for a measly $300 you can have 64 bit... but I'd rather use Win95b.

Jim Shimota

Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:47 AM

Answers

• I assume that each PC is configured for individual backup and not a Centralized backup scheme where the Hub PC(s) host the location (even on a Share).

I think you're not going to like this answer, though. I think you need to reset the backup plan by turning backup off and back on. There is no facility to "move" a backup. Once the backup location is gone, a new full backup must be made to a new location. The catalog went missing with the loss of the server. If you moved everything from the server to the new server, but that server now has a new name, then OneCare cannot reclaim those backups, though the backups can still be restored from, usually.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Monday, September 29, 2008 5:21 PM

All replies

• FWIW - I was discussing this issue with another admin - here's his email to me:

Well Jim. I just knew in my heart to get out of there when you told me of Linda’s OneCare trouble. That red/yellow/green makes the users feel warm and fuzzy, but I don't trust it and we both know how it loves to go Vista with wireless nets and lock you out of your own network every other day.  I digress.

I’ve just spent nearly 2.5 hrs (I only billed you 1.) trying to get to the bottom of this.  According the dark side, because potentially pre-existing backups exist, One care MUST first see the existing folder before it can change the backup location.  That’s why it doesn’t allow you to do anything without telling you to get the connection to the server called 'Essential' reestablished before you can do squat.  When I pointed out that the user had never done a backup, but simply pointed themselves to the folder, all I got was dissention and disbelief from the other admins till I demonstrated this programatic flaw.  Ahh.. gotta love the *** spewing forth from MS programmers these days!

Regarding your desire to see the registry entry holding this keypair, its doubted because Onecare stores most of its stuff outside the registry because of the interaction with Firewall.  So its doubtful you'll get a positive answer in that regard.  Face it dude, you gotta reinstall on all 80 machines - OR... you could make a fake Essentials machine... thats prolly faster!  And ... I gotta ask, why ARENT you using a server/client product like triendmicro or forefront anyway?  Your arguement that its $9/machine/yr doesn't make sense. isn't this product $50?  Your allowed to install on 3 machines right?  I have never seen this $20 rebate you said you get from Staples... Anywho. 

Ta.

Walt

So, ignoring Walts bias against M$, he says theres a programmatic requirement to connect to the previous folder prior to a change. Does this bear out with anyone elses' experiences?  Can it be overridden in any way?

And finally, just in case anyone is actually reading this, I DO pay 9.99 per 3 machines. I get a $20 instore rebate at staples, with a $20 mailin rebate.  So its 3.33 per machine.  At least it was a few months ago when I bought 50 copies.

Jim

Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:14 AM
  • I assume that each PC is configured for individual backup and not a Centralized backup scheme where the Hub PC(s) host the location (even on a Share).

I think you're not going to like this answer, though. I think you need to reset the backup plan by turning backup off and back on. There is no facility to "move" a backup. Once the backup location is gone, a new full backup must be made to a new location. The catalog went missing with the loss of the server. If you moved everything from the server to the new server, but that server now has a new name, then OneCare cannot reclaim those backups, though the backups can still be restored from, usually.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Monday, September 29, 2008 5:21 PM
  • I believe that an alternative to this would be a database reset, but that still has you reconfiguring backup on each PC. It is one step short of the reinstall...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

-steve

Monday, September 29, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Thanks Steve.  I'm not near this clients machine but I had tried the disable / reenable for backups and it didn't allow me fresh locations as expected.  It still held the value for the server (network share) that was previously put in so no joy.  I can't step by step verify what you describe but the concept was clear.

Thanks again for the suggestion.  At this point, we're doing an uninstall / reinstall accross the board using domain policies so its not terrible. 

Friday, October 3, 2008 7:29 PM