Non-recognition of Backup using Automatic Backup Device RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently purchased and used an Automatic Backup Device to backup my files.  However, my Windows Live OneCare status is still showing as fair because the backup process wasn't recognised by the software.

How can this issue be resolved, please?

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:26 AM

Answers

• OneCare only knows about its own backup process, not any external programs.
    Open OneCare, click change settings, backup tab, and configure backup. Uncheck "turn on backup..." and save the backup plan. Your status will return to green.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:32 PM

All replies

• OneCare only knows about its own backup process, not any external programs.
    Open OneCare, click change settings, backup tab, and configure backup. Uncheck "turn on backup..." and save the backup plan. Your status will return to green.
    -steve
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:32 PM
  • I specifically purchased a device that does the backup for me without my having to do anything other than plug it into a USB port.  (It's called "Clickfree".) 

It would therefore be good if the Windows Live OneCare system was just as intuitive.  

Is there any way this can be done without my having to change any settings myself, please?
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:55 PM
  • No, you need to configure OneCare backup to be off.
    OneCare was not designed to recognize external backup solutions. It is quite easy to turn off backup in OneCare.

If you do not wish to do this yourself, you can contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:21 PM
  • I have turned it off myself now.  I'll admit that was very easy to do.

However, the point I was trying to make here was that, as the popularity of these types of devices grows, your software needs to be upgraded to keep up with any new developments. 

The Windows Live OneCare philosophy around managing the backup of one's files is good, but I've now had to turn off that functionality because your software is not fully up to the task.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Well, the good news is that you have your own backup solution since OneCare will cease to exist at the end of 2010. If you have a current subscription it will be fully supported through the end of its term. There are some announcements at the top of the General forum with details.
    I'm glad that you were able to deal with the settings easily enough. Had OneCare continued, being able to recognize 3rd party backup solutions would be good.
    -steve
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:19 PM