PC Restore using Home Server Software RRS feed

• Question

• After replacing a defective hard drive on a HP IQ506t computer I tried to restore the PC using the PC Restore Disc that came with my HP EX485 Home Media Server. The IQ 506 is running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Before starting the retsore process I copied the "driver restore" file from the server onto a USB drive. The restore software correctly indentified my network card but did not seem to load the correct drivers even though the USB drive was in the PC's USB port.
    After talking to HP tech support, I downloaded the drivers for my Realtek NIC from the nodevice.com website. I opened the downloaded zip file with WinRar and then copied the file to a USB drive. I then tried to restore again and used the "install driver" option as discussed in other threads on the Windows Home Server forum. I still have not been able to restore the PC. I have been told that the Windows Home Server software is 32 bit and since I am trying to restore a 64 bit operating system with 64 bit drivers that the PC restore software will not work. Can anyone help me resolve this issue?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:07 PM

Answers

• I believe the restore disk itself is a 32bit OS, you may need to find and load the 32bit drivers for your network card.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:12 PM

All replies

• I believe the restore disk itself is a 32bit OS, you may need to find and load the 32bit drivers for your network card.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Thanks for confirming my assumption. I have found a RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) driver for Windows XP. I assume it is 32 bit so I am going to try it. Do anyone know if Microsoft is planning to create a restore disc that runs a 64 bit OS?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:02 PM
  • I doubt it, mostly because WHS can be run on 32-bit hardware (and itself a 32bit OS). Until everyone moves to 64-bit (even Windows 7 still has to support 32-bit, though its Server 2008 R2 version does not), I don't see any reason why they would create one.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Thanks again. Not what I want to hear but it is what I expected.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:10 PM