Where do I get Windows7 for my updated computer RRS feed

• Question

• I posted here a few days ago about the validation issue I was having. I was told that I needed to buy a new copy of Windows 7. I have been unable to find anyone who is selling Windows 7....any suggestions?

Additionally, I had replaced some hardware on the original Dell which died in December (God rest its soul). I managed to cobble together a workable facsimile of a computer and am in the process of buying upgraded hardware. Will the OEM version of Windows work ok? I have seen info about a "builder's" version. Is that the right choice? When I do get the upgraded hardware will I be able to continue the use whatever version of Windows that I have.

Thanks for helping limited knowledge computer doofus.

Saturday, June 25, 2016 7:41 PM

Answers

• Thank you so very much for the information. Told me everything I needed to know. You are my hero for the day.
    • Marked as answer by shumashuma Tuesday, June 28, 2016 12:36 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 12:36 AM

All replies

• Where do you live?  Windows 7 Professional is still available here in the states, OEM System Builder product that can only be installed on one PC.  The lowest price is about $140 shipped.  Same for Windows 8.1 Professional.  Both of which qualify for free upgrade to Windows 10 Professional.  You can look for other options on Ebay but no genuine product is going to be significantly cheaper.  Maybe you can save an extra $25 but more discounted than that is almost always suspect.
    Sunday, June 26, 2016 5:29 AM
  • Do NOT be tempted to buy software on eBay - experience shows that a large majority of Windows 'licenses' available there are counterfeit or abused volume licenses.

Your Time Zone shows you to be probably in the US, so Newegg or Best Buy or similar stores are your best option.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, June 26, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Thank you very much for the information and advice. I live in the states. Newegg is out of stock and does not know if they will get any in again. I will also check best buy. There is an online company called Software Empire that is offering Windows 7 home premium for around $50 as an instant digital download. They carry "Microsoft Certified Partner" in their information. Does Microsoft have certified partners? Can I trust a digital download. I am on a limited income and $50 vs $140 fits the budget better but only if I don't get ripped off with bad or pirated software.  I need someone who knows the what fors of this to tell me what to do. :) and figure the source should/would be my best bet.  Thanks again your guidance so far has been a godsend.
    Sunday, June 26, 2016 7:49 PM
  • Sorry forgot to ask. Are you telling me that buy the OEM? Will I be able to upgrade hardware and still have a genuine product?
    Sunday, June 26, 2016 7:52 PM
  • The only legitimate source for download delivery of Windows 7 was through Microsoft itself or qualified Academic institutions.  Anyone selling Windows 7 for download to the general public is selling non-legit licenses.

Newegg as of this writing current shows in stock for Windows 7 Professional OEM for $140.  If you want the cheapest option get Windows 8.1 OEM (non-Pro) for $100, unless you actually need features of PRO version.

The only license version that allows you to change motherboards is the "Full Version" (retail), but these are more expensive.  Technically the OEM products may only be installed on one PC.  You can change everything else, except for the motherboard (unless it's replacing with same motherboard), which creates by Microsoft's definition a "new" PC or machine.  But many people have reported they changed motherboards and it still activated again.  Not guaranteed of it but usually you can persuade MS activation support into a 2nd activation as long as it's been a year or so since the previous.

Monday, June 27, 2016 4:15 AM
  • Thank you so very much for the information. Told me everything I needed to know. You are my hero for the day.
    • Marked as answer by shumashuma Tuesday, June 28, 2016 12:36 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 12:36 AM
  • You're welcome.  Unless you know of a specific reason why you can't use Windows 8.1, I would recommend it over Windows 7.  If it's just the GUI of Windows 8/8.1 you dislike (me too), you can install a 'start menu replacement' easily enough and it makes Windows 8.1 look (and feel) 95% like Windows 7.  I personally prefer "Start is Back" it's free to try for 30 days but the cost for a license is only like $3.  Classic Shell is pretty good, too (has lots of customization options) and completely free.  And Stardock's "Start8" is also pretty good, but costs $5.  There are others but those three I think are the best ones.  Good luck!
    • Edited by tcsenter Tuesday, June 28, 2016 1:56 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 1:56 AM
  • I would much more recommend Win10 over 8.x - it has the Start menu built in (albeit in a modified form) and is much more keyboard/mouse friendly than 8.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:01 AM