Bypassing "Remove Interferring Program" feature RRS feed

• Question

• I have a second antivirus program installed and Onecare is at red alert urgent risk status because I don't wish to uninstall it. I have all of the additional anitvirus programs automated features disabled and only use is for an additional manual check on some occasions.

The additional program is AVG Free edition and the combination with Onecare has given me no operational problem with the exception that since the recent onecare update I now have to put up with Onecare crying wolf and advising me I am at risk over a "trivial" issue.

Can I bypass this warning without uninstalling either Onecare or AVG free?

Sunday, December 2, 2007 3:57 AM

Answers

• The issue is not trivial. Having two antivirus programs installed compromises the performance of both programs as well as the performance of your computer and is of no benefit. You need to uninstall either AVG or One Care. If you feel the need to validate the performance of your installed antivirus program, use an online scanner.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 5:29 PM

All replies

• The issue is not trivial. Having two antivirus programs installed compromises the performance of both programs as well as the performance of your computer and is of no benefit. You need to uninstall either AVG or One Care. If you feel the need to validate the performance of your installed antivirus program, use an online scanner.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Thanks JimR1,

I don't seem to be noticing any performance issues, I have disabled all the active monitoring functions of the second virus program (by deactivating AVG Shell Extension and uninstalling AVG Resident Shield and AVG Email Scanner) and only use the AVG Virus Scanner and Rootkit checker manually once per month.

The only issue I appear to have is Outlook showing a red alert.

Cheers,

Rob.

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:19 AM
  • Yes, OneCare sees AVG and determines it to be a conflict even if you have taken steps to disable all active protection from AVG.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:49 AM
  • This problem of red alert for conflicting programs stinks. Microsoft or anyone else has no right to dictate what programs are on our computers. It is a thinly veiled attack on our independence as well as an attack on the other software companies, as in "if you want to use our program you can't use theirs". And of course this popped up out of the blue and many users have months on their subsciptions already paid for, so Microsoft thinks they are trapped. I am in an email conversation with tech support now and if they don't get this red icon to go green without me uninstaling AVG and Adaware, it's the OneCare that is going down the drain. I don't care what explanation they give. It's my computer, end of story.

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:55 AM
  •  Fullcontact wrote:
    This problem of red alert for conflicting programs stinks. Microsoft or anyone else has no right to dictate what programs are on our computers. It is a thinly veiled attack on our independence as well as an attack on the other software companies, as in "if you want to use our program you can't use theirs". And of course this popped up out of the blue and many users have months on their subsciptions already paid for, so Microsoft thinks they are trapped. I am in an email conversation with tech support now and if they don't get this red icon to go green without me uninstaling AVG and Adaware, it's the OneCare that is going down the drain. I don't care what explanation they give. It's my computer, end of story.

Have a look here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2745079&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 3:13 AM