SQL 2008 RC0 and Visual Studio SP1 beta problems RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

Since installing SQL 2008 RC0 I am unable to continue my development in the ADO.NET synchronization services.

I get the error message "The given key was not present in the dictionary." from Visual Studio 2008 when I configue the localdatacache.

(a post from someone else that seems to have the same problem as me)
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=352179&wa=wsignin1.0

I am surpised not to see more post with people having this problem.  I have tried for three days to get my installation corrrect.

(steps that i have followed trying to get a proper install of the releated products)
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/9/E/49EEB41A-A769-4520-80D6-671B8AE2BD06/ReleaseNotesSQLServer2008.htm

I am going to attempt to load everything using virtual pc.  I am completely stuck.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Roger
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 6:44 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Monday, June 23, 2008 3:35 PM

Answers

• Had same problems when installing both on a same machine. After moving SQL Server to a dedicated box and only leaving VS SP1 and Management Studio everything seems to work. But only after installing VS first (without SP1) and SQL Server MS after (which in turn installed SP1).

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:17 AM

• Georgij, Thanks so much for the help.

I ended up un-installing VS2008 and SQL2008

re-installing VS2008 (SP1 remained),  Could not create new projects...

so Disabled McAfee.. repair install VS2008, then, everything looked good...

installing SQL 2008 MS (Able to configure LocalDataCace OK!)

installed SQL 2008 SQLExpress Instance (Still Everything Good !!!)

I have the same problem on another laptop... so I will try the same thing there.

Meanwhile, I installed SQL 2008 RC0 on a freshly built Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2.

Everything went very smooth there.

Nice to have a development machine back working properly.... sorta a must.

Final, note.  I didn't have the system resources to build a virtual PC as a development machine.  Which is what is the safe way of evaluating CTPs and RCs.  Memory is on order.

thanks again,

Roger

Friday, June 27, 2008 4:23 PM
  • SQL Server 2008 RC0 installs SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Query Tools Beta and SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Beta. Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta installs SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Design Tools Beta and SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Beta.

SQL Server Compact installation fails when the products are installed in the following order:
    1. Install SQL Server 2008 RC0
    2. Then install Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta

The workaround for the issue is as given below:
    2. Go to the Add/Remove Programs
    3. Uninstall SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Query Tools Beta and SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Beta
    4. Install Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta
    5. Install SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Query Tools Beta (SSCESqlWbTools.msi) from the folder - Servers\Setup on the SQL Server 2008 RC0 installation media (CD/DVD/Layout)
    6. Go to the Add/remove programs and verify that the following are installed:

a. SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Query Tools Beta;

b. SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Beta;

c. SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Design Tools Beta

The reason for the failure is that SQL Server 2008 RC0 and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta install the same version of SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Beta MSI's. If SQL Server Compact is already installed on the machine SQL Server 2008 or Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Setup has to skip the installation. There was a bug in the Visual Studio Setup and it has been fixed. The fix will be available in the released version of Visual Studio 2008 SP1

Regards

Ambrish

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:21 AM

All replies

• Had same problems when installing both on a same machine. After moving SQL Server to a dedicated box and only leaving VS SP1 and Management Studio everything seems to work. But only after installing VS first (without SP1) and SQL Server MS after (which in turn installed SP1).

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:17 AM

• Georgij, Thanks so much for the help.

I ended up un-installing VS2008 and SQL2008

re-installing VS2008 (SP1 remained),  Could not create new projects...

so Disabled McAfee.. repair install VS2008, then, everything looked good...

installing SQL 2008 MS (Able to configure LocalDataCace OK!)

installed SQL 2008 SQLExpress Instance (Still Everything Good !!!)

I have the same problem on another laptop... so I will try the same thing there.

Meanwhile, I installed SQL 2008 RC0 on a freshly built Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2.

Everything went very smooth there.

Nice to have a development machine back working properly.... sorta a must.

Final, note.  I didn't have the system resources to build a virtual PC as a development machine.  Which is what is the safe way of evaluating CTPs and RCs.  Memory is on order.

thanks again,

Roger

Friday, June 27, 2008 4:23 PM
  • SQL Server 2008 RC0 installs SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Query Tools Beta and SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Beta. Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta installs SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Design Tools Beta and SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Beta.

SQL Server Compact installation fails when the products are installed in the following order:
    2. Then install Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta

The workaround for the issue is as given below:
    2. Go to the Add/Remove Programs
    3. Uninstall SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Query Tools Beta and SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Beta
    4. Install Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta
    5. Install SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Query Tools Beta (SSCESqlWbTools.msi) from the folder - Servers\Setup on the SQL Server 2008 RC0 installation media (CD/DVD/Layout)
    6. Go to the Add/remove programs and verify that the following are installed:

a. SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Query Tools Beta;

b. SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Beta;

c. SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Design Tools Beta

The reason for the failure is that SQL Server 2008 RC0 and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta install the same version of SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Beta MSI's. If SQL Server Compact is already installed on the machine SQL Server 2008 or Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Setup has to skip the installation. There was a bug in the Visual Studio Setup and it has been fixed. The fix will be available in the released version of Visual Studio 2008 SP1

Regards

Ambrish

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:21 AM
  •  Ambrish Mishra - MSFT wrote:

The fix will be available in the released version of Visual Studio 2008 SP1

When?

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:28 AM
  • From ScottGu's blog at http://beta.weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2008/05/12/visual-studio-2008-and-net-framework-3-5-service-pack-1-beta.aspx:

"We plan to ship the final release of both .NET 3.5 SP1 and VS 2008 SP1 this summer as free updates.  You can download and install the beta here.: 

Regards

Ambrish

Monday, June 30, 2008 8:07 AM
  • I am having issues getting the SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Design Tools Beta installed. It did not install as stated above and I cannot locate the SSCEVSTools-ENU file anywhere to install it seperately.

I started with VS 2008 from an Expression Studio package I purchased, then tried to update it to the SP1 Beta and installed the SQL Server 2008 beta.

I am trying to prototype a Virtual Earth app and need SQL 08 because of the geo-data types avaialble.

I am a novice, any advise on how to fix this will be appreciated.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:43 PM
  • It is not clear whether or not you ran through the steps that Ambrish noted above.  Can you please clarif which step you are having issues with as this would help with regards to troubleshooting.

Sean Kelley

Program Manager

Microsoft

Friday, August 1, 2008 1:31 PM