none
Need to know abt SQL Server 2005 Database Developer Certification RRS feed

• Question

• Need to know abt SQL Server 2005 Database Developer Certification

Hi,

I am using SQL Server 2005 , T-SQL from past 1.6 Yr. I got to know about MCTS 70-431 as the Basic certification for database developer. But 70-431 mainly deals with Implementation and Manitenance and not with T-SQL.

Can anyone pls advise me about the Exam which deals with SQL and T-SQL.

Thanks and Regards,

Kavya

Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:27 AM

Answers

• Yes, you are right, the "database developer" exams deal mostly with implementation, and they only test minimally the knowledge of SQL itself. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there is no official Microsoft certification exam that specifically tests in depth your ability to write SQL queries.

This problem extends to other developer exams. For instance, it is paradoxical that you can pass all of the .Net development exams without knowing how to write a program. The exams evaluate your knowledge of the Framework libraries, but they don't verify that you know the programming language or how to apply it when writing a program.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

Alberto was just ahead of me and he's right. For the exams general TSQL is enough and you won't do a lot of comprehensive querying. That's unfortunate because that also the part i like the best.

Personally i took this course: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/course.aspx?ID=2784a not for exmanination but purely for knowing and extending my knowledge. I can really recommend some course like this (maybe the 2008 variant). At least it won't fail you on some exam and on the other hand is does prepare you for the general questions about querying for the 431 exam.

Maurice 

Maurice
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 3:38 PM
  • I can suggest you to go for the SQL Server 2008 developer certifications and so for t-sql to start with 70-433

But for SQL2005, you should complete the 70-431, 70-441 and 70-442 for developer certifications

SQL Server and T-SQL Tutorials
    My Personal Site
    Our true mentor in life is science
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:01 PM

All replies

• Yes, you are right, the "database developer" exams deal mostly with implementation, and they only test minimally the knowledge of SQL itself. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there is no official Microsoft certification exam that specifically tests in depth your ability to write SQL queries.

This problem extends to other developer exams. For instance, it is paradoxical that you can pass all of the .Net development exams without knowing how to write a program. The exams evaluate your knowledge of the Framework libraries, but they don't verify that you know the programming language or how to apply it when writing a program.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

Alberto was just ahead of me and he's right. For the exams general TSQL is enough and you won't do a lot of comprehensive querying. That's unfortunate because that also the part i like the best.

Personally i took this course: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/course.aspx?ID=2784a not for exmanination but purely for knowing and extending my knowledge. I can really recommend some course like this (maybe the 2008 variant). At least it won't fail you on some exam and on the other hand is does prepare you for the general questions about querying for the 431 exam.

Maurice 

Maurice
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 3:38 PM
  • I can suggest you to go for the SQL Server 2008 developer certifications and so for t-sql to start with 70-433

But for SQL2005, you should complete the 70-431, 70-441 and 70-442 for developer certifications

SQL Server and T-SQL Tutorials
    My Personal Site
    Our true mentor in life is science
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:01 PM