none
Windows XP Home Validation Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have unfortunately suffered a hard drive fault on my laptop and have had to replace it. Not only have I lost some data (i do some backups) I now have to rebuild the system too!

I have unfortunately lost the copy of XP home that I had, but have obtained a genuine copy of the XP home install disk, with SP3.  My problem is that the aparently genuine Product key on the sticker on the CoA is aparently not valid, although the CoA appears to pass all the checks identified in the howtotell section.

Is there any way of checking the product Key? I obviously cant install the software to check, and cant run MGA as the laptop isnt running an operating system yet.

Advice appreciated.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hello Blue Plum,

You are probably getting the "product key is not valid for this system" error.

If so, the most likely reason is that you are trying to use a type of Windows CD that does not match the type of product key on the CoA.  I would guess that you are using a full retail or upgrade CD when what you need is an OEM CD.

Assuming the laptop is from a major name brand manufacturer such as Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, Sony, Toshiba, etc etc, the best solution in cases like this is to contact the manufacturer of the laptop and request to be sent replacement Operating System Reinstallation or Recovery Discs.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:15 AM