Slow network performance - SOLVED in my case RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been reading through a lot of the posts concerning slow network performance as my WHS was starting to suffer from that. I was getting reads in the range 3-5 MB/s on a Gigabit network - just as many had experienced.

What was strange though was that for some files I was getting quite high throughput, but not for my Recorded TV which would really benefit from the high throughput.
    My study actually started because I had (or rather my family had - and they were giving me h...)  started to notice a lot of stuttering on the playback when recordings were streamed off the WHS.

A few words on my WHS:
    It consist of two 80 GB disks (one is the system disk), one 250 GB disk and three 1 TB disks. I have a Media Center PC which stores all the recordings on the WHS for all the rest of the households PCs to stream from. The PP3 Beta was originally loaded on the WHS AFTER the addition of the 250 GB disk and BEFORE any of the TB disks.

Doing a few tests to rule out fundamental problems with my network, my attention turned towards the WHS. As a first step I decided to swap the NIC, but before doing so, I wanted to check the general health status of the WHS.

In the console I noticed that the two oldest datadisks were being reported as almost full: 80 GB @ 75%, 250 GB @ 95%. Since the Recorded TV folder is not duplicated, I took it for a fact that it had to reside on one of these two disks - and probably on the 250 GB disk.

I then tried to remove both disk to see if that would have an effect on the playback performance.

And it did! No more stuttering on playbacks, and consist throughput of 45 - 60 MB/s.

I'm not saying that this is the cure against low network performance in all cases - and I'm certainly going to monitor this in the coming weeks - but it helped me.

Best regards
    Niels
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:29 AM

All replies

• Using older components for a server is false economy.  Glad to see you got the performance back in your server.  Over time hard disks degrad in different ways and sometimes this can result in a slower transfer rate which usually leads to total failure. 

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:15 AM