Streaming from WHS to Xbox 360 problem RRS feed

• Question

• I want to start by appologising if this has been asked before.

I have a problem I want to try and get sorted, I have a few backed up movies on my WHS that belong to my daughter. We have 2 xbox 360's one in my daughters room and one in the living room. The problem is when I stream some of these movies wirelessly to the xbox's they stutter badly, but when I plug a ethernet cable from the router to the xbox, the files work without any problems. I want to know what you guys think could be the problem.

HMG
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:36 PM

All replies

• "... ethernet cable ... work without any problems. ..."

Poor wireless connection. How do you fix it? I like running a wire. Really. :)

Failing that:

• See if you can relocate the wireless access point to a more central locaiton, so you can get a better signal everywhere.
    • Consider installing a second AP. This can be smoewhat complicated depending on hardware choices, but isn't beyond most people's ability to configure.
    • If you think you're getting a good signal, and you have an old AP, replacing it with a newer one (instead of A/B, A/B/G, or instead of A/B/G, A/B/G/N) is an option. Depending on the cause of your current issue, this may not help...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:08 PM
  • I would suggest doing a trial with your existing setup with nothing between your Wireless router and your X-box, thus guaranteeing a good signal. That way you can ascertain if the wireless technology you are using is up to the job, before investing in an 802.11n system.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:50 PM