Backup doesn't work after restore (volume missing error) RRS feed

• Question

• I've been experiencing the same problem.  I have a Media Center PC running Vista with 2 partitions, one for the OS (50 gig) and one for content (2.7 TB ish).  Both partitions are on a RAID 0 array.  One of the drives in that array recently died. 

Anyway, I replaced the drive with an identical model.  WHS restored the whole thing, no problem.  However, it will no longer backup the large partition, only the OS partition. 

If I try to configure backup I get the error:

"The computer is not online or Windows Home Server cannot access the computer's hard drive.  Please make sure the computer is powered on and connected to your home network"

If I look at the backups for this machine, they are all marked as Incomplete, with the failed partition marked "Missing" .. and interestingly enough, there is no drive letter next to it.  You can see a screenshot of the backup information here:

http://cid-c3dec8cbc1375998.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/whsbackup.png
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 3:49 AM

All replies

• Could you please submit a bug report for this on Connect ? Several other users have reported a very similar problem, and the more information Microsoft has the more likely they will be able to find and correct any issues.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 1:34 PM