Bulk import of email messages RRS feed

• Question

•  I have a requirement to load 25,000 historic emails stored in *.msg files to a new installation of CRM. My originally thought to add these all to a “pst” file and then select 1000 records and click track in CRM (25 times). However there is a 20 record limit on the number of emails I can add to CRM at one time. That is a lot of clicks to get 25000 emails into CRM.

Using the bulk load tool is not straight forward either as that first involves converting the emails (msg file) to a record in a table. Any Suggestions?

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 11:26 PM

Answers

• The only suggestion that comes to my mind would be to write a custom solution that would read the emails and create Email activities in CRM for each of your emails. If you consider tracking emails in the regular way, you would have to do it manually from Outlook...

Kind regards,

Kuba

-- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Aitken Friday, September 24, 2010 7:44 PM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 11:38 PM
  • I ended up creating a small c# app that cycled through the inbox and used the "promote email" code found in the SDK. Thanks Guys
    Friday, September 24, 2010 7:46 PM

All replies

• The only suggestion that comes to my mind would be to write a custom solution that would read the emails and create Email activities in CRM for each of your emails. If you consider tracking emails in the regular way, you would have to do it manually from Outlook...

Kind regards,

Kuba

-- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Aitken Friday, September 24, 2010 7:44 PM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 11:38 PM
  • There appears to be no setting, registry or otherwise, that improves the limit of things you can track from Outlook.  I suspect this limit, like others discussed on this forum, is hard-coded.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 11:47 PM
  • I agree with Kuba, the best suggestion is to create a custom application which converts and register those emails. I think you'll spend more time creating it to CRM from Outlook than creating an application and, why not, these application could help you to do another import in the future...
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:30 AM
  • I ended up creating a small c# app that cycled through the inbox and used the "promote email" code found in the SDK. Thanks Guys
    Friday, September 24, 2010 7:46 PM