Unable to reinstall XP Pro on a new drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a genuine copy of XP Pro.  The drive failed and I have replaced the drive with a new drive.  In attempting to reinstall XP Pro (as I have done many times) after the installation is complete and the computer reboots for the initial login, when I enter the administrator's password, I get a message box stating "You must activate Windows before you log on".  If I select YES to activate, the process freezes the computer.  If I select NO, I am returned to the logon. 

I believe the problem is related to using installation media that doesn't work with the license code.  I do not have the original installation CD for this computer but the license product key is on the case.  Can you help me?

Thanks,

Don

Friday, March 14, 2008 5:26 PM

Answers

• Cajun,

Please contact the manufacturer of your computer and request them to send you the Recovery Disc which originally came with you system. Should your computer not be a commercially built system and you had an OEM disc you may be totally out of luck and may be required to purchase a new operating system. 

Take care,

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 3:58 AM

All replies

• Hello Don,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Activation issues are off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge. I suggest posting your question to the Discussions in Windows XP General Forum newsgroups here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

If you should have other non-WGA questions please visit our other communities for helpful information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/community.mspx .  Thank you for visiting the forum.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:46 PM
  • Cajun,

Please contact the manufacturer of your computer and request them to send you the Recovery Disc which originally came with you system. Should your computer not be a commercially built system and you had an OEM disc you may be totally out of luck and may be required to purchase a new operating system. 

Take care,

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 3:58 AM