Alert Viewer Error RRS feed

• Question

• Under Windows 10, when the connector detects that windows requires an update, in the Alert window, clicking on Open windows update produces this error message: "Alert viewer Error - Cannot run the trouble shooter"! Can any body help, as I have tried all the usual i.e. uninstalling, re - installing, no change!

Phil.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Make sure that the Windows Server Initialization Service on WHS2011 is running, or, you may try to restart this service manually.

If this problem only happened on specific client device(Windows 10), restart the client device and disable and re-enable the Windows Update, then, check the result.

If the problem persists, is there any change before this problem happened? Please provide the screenshot if possible.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 27, 2016 7:10 AM
  • Hi Eve,

Thanks for the reply, but as far as I can see, it's nothing to do with the WHS2011, as my remaining machines still running Windows 8.1 are perfectly okay, it's just the Windows 10 machines that I have, not being able to start Windows Update from within the Alert Viewer! Receiving the error message as above! Still obviously get the notification, and it clears when the updates have been downloaded as normal!

Kind Regards,

Phil

Friday, May 27, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

Does this problem happened once the Windows 10 connects to WHS 2011? 

Make sure that both Windows 10 and WHS 2011 are fully patched with Windows Update/Hotfix, it might be helpful for resolving some known issues.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 3:31 AM
  • Hi Eve,

Thanks for your reply once again! All of my machines are fully up to date with the latest updates / patches! To reiterate what I said before, I feel this issue lies with the Alert Viewer and Windows 10, as it is perfectly okay with my Windows 8.1 machines!

I can't seem to find if there has been an update to same, or what's causing Windows 10 to exhibit this issue, hence my plea here?

Kind regards,

Phil.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 9:03 AM
  • I have the same issues with windows 10 pro, but windows 7 pc is fine. I also get "Important updates should be installed" alerts on Windows 10 laptops where those up to date on updates. I see those alerts if the date of last time is shown prior day.

Is there a fix for this?

Sunday, June 5, 2016 5:10 PM
  • I have the same issues with windows 10 pro, but windows 7 pc is fine. I also get "Important updates should be installed" alerts on Windows 10 laptops where those up to date on updates. I see those alerts if the date of last time is shown prior day.

Is there a fix for this?

This has just started happening for me also - not sure which update caused it to start.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, June 5, 2016 7:04 PM

Is there a fix for this?

This has just started happening for me also - not sure which update caused it to start.

I have the same problem. On my w10x64pro laptop (fresh install build 10586, complete patched) launchpad warning is telling me do a pending update, but there is none. I have two different systems w.o. that claiming warning notice for a new update (w7x64 and w81x64).

Seems to be a w10 problem only?

Monday, June 6, 2016 9:45 AM
  • @ Microsoft

Any updates? It's getting annoying

Sunday, June 12, 2016 6:17 PM
  • I believe this has been cured in a pile of updates this week, mine has started to behave now.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:25 PM
  • I don't think so. Still the same issue next day after updates.
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 11:22 PM
  • Hi Guys,

No change, same issue persists, I have checked on two of my PC's so far!

Graham have you done anything else to your PC in any way, as it seems mighty strange that yours is now working, I'm intrigued!

Regards,

Phil.

Friday, June 17, 2016 10:09 AM
  • Sadly it has started to get flaky again, 64 bit was well behaved for a few days, 32 bit did not come good when I fired it up to check. It is odd as just after the updates a few days of happiness followed. There were server updates and lots of Windows 10 for the clients too.

It is very irritating as I have a house full of non techies I nag to pay attention to alerts and now they can ignore them as it is broken undoing that work.

Graham

Saturday, June 18, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply, sorry to hear that it's no longer working for you, but I must admit that I'm still intrigued as to why it did for a day or two?

Regards,

Phil.

Saturday, June 18, 2016 4:18 PM
  • The alerts for "important updates should be installed" are depended on windows update check tasks run daily. If there is more than 24 hours sense last check, server thinks there are some and reports it as alert. The issue could in WHS2011 connection client itself, but nobody knows for sure.
    Saturday, June 18, 2016 5:17 PM
  • Hi Guys,

The reporting by WHS 2011 is not the issue, it's the accessing of windows update from within the Alert Viewer, which very heavily points to the Client Connector or something errant within windows 10, as to iterate what I said before it still works quite happily under Windows 8.1! it did however work initially in the first few Preview builds of Windows 10, but since just before 1511, started to see this issue! Surely there must be a fix of some description by now! 

Regards,

Phil.

Monday, June 20, 2016 10:30 AM
  • I think those are 2 related issues. They are both relate to WHS2011 client running on Windows 10.

• Edited by LeoG71 Monday, June 20, 2016 2:25 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 2:25 PM
  • I have the same problem on all my 3 W10x64pro computers (PC, Notebook, Tablet). It showed up right after installing W10.

Any hints to solve it?

Bruno

Monday, June 27, 2016 2:43 PM
  • In the meantime I made an update on my second system (w7x64pro to w10x64pro build 10586).  I made new installation and now I have the same problem on my second w10 system. My w8.1x64pro system is running fine and yes I have installed all updates on all clients. Also all updates for the server are installed.

I think Phil is right with the client connector. I assume that it can't handle the missing update menu (function) in the "old" control panel part in w10.

Best regards
    mammut62

Thursday, June 30, 2016 10:57 AM
  • The Windows Server Initialization service is not running on the client and causing the issue. Start the service and you will regain client to server connectivity. I'm not sure if setting the service to Automatic (delayed) will solve this for good, trying now.
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 4:03 PM
  • Nice try Bgriff016, but I have tried all permutations of this, no change, sorry!

Phil.

P.S See also top of discussion!

Saturday, July 23, 2016 10:19 PM
  • Nice try Bgriff016, but I have tried all permutations of this, no change, sorry!

Phil.

P.S See also top of discussion!

P.P.S. sorry forgot to add the Alert Me Button!

Saturday, July 23, 2016 10:27 PM
  • Hi Bgriff016

have you had any success with the Alert Viewer since your last note?

Kind Regards,

Phil.

Friday, July 29, 2016 10:51 AM
  • I have this problem as well. Was it ever resolved?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:30 PM
  • Nope. MS doesn't care.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:36 PM
  • That's what I thought.  Thanks for letting me know

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:59 PM