onecare is going crazy ATTACK of the killer firewall! RRS feed

• Question

• for some odd reason the onecare firewall started to block all programs trying to access the net..
    not sure what happen..  so far it has blocked  outlook mirc  messengers  and ie now..

i have removed onecare and installed it today and it started blocking again.. anyone out there knows what is going on???

Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:22 PM

Answers

• so were still working on this and not even close to a fix 

but i did noticed some stranged stuff

if u uncheck " always aks me whether to blockl or allow programs"

it auto allows all programs and adds them to the list

if it check it auto blocks them and doesnt show up in the onecare allow or block list

so thats a good fix but some of us would like to get alerts when something is trying to access the net..

will keep ya posted thanks!

Sunday, June 21, 2009 11:51 PM

All replies

• Since reinstalling One care did not resolve the firewall issue I suggest contacting support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:26 PM
  • no it has not.. so annoying  contacting support now thanks!
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:27 PM
  • so were still working on this and not even close to a fix 

but i did noticed some stranged stuff

if u uncheck " always aks me whether to blockl or allow programs"

it auto allows all programs and adds them to the list

if it check it auto blocks them and doesnt show up in the onecare allow or block list

so thats a good fix but some of us would like to get alerts when something is trying to access the net..

will keep ya posted thanks!

Sunday, June 21, 2009 11:51 PM
  • I've marked your post as the answer to the thread. When you select the option to *always ask* you for any program that requires access, it will block all programs until you allow or block. If you allow, you then need to retry the program. That is the way OneCare has always worked. The default setting uses a list of known good programs and known bad programs to prevent too much prompting for you to worry about.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:44 AM
  • yeah thats the problem itz not even poping up a window saying allowed or block

just a bubble window saying  onecare has blocked  x program..

Monday, June 22, 2009 2:33 AM
  • yeah thats the problem itz not even poping up a window saying allowed or block

just a bubble window saying  onecare has blocked  x program..

Well, that isn't the way it is supposed to work. If OneCare is not prompting you and that's the option you selected, then support is the way to go.
    -steve
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:06 PM
  • yeah well i tried the support way and they cant fix it or know what is going on..

so i just have to watch the firewall logs to make sure something didnt get added..

or ditch onecare ;-)

Monday, June 22, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Did you recently add any other software or update any drivers?
    -steve

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:00 AM
  • NOpe... i was remote log in when onecare went to ____ :-p

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:37 PM
  • so still trying to figure out what the ____ is going on and i ran into this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913964 but it says only xp

so i found this page for vista http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2006/11/22/convert-to-a-dynamic-disk-in-vista/

but the problem is i didnt change anything and when i look at the disk management they all say basic..

will keep ya posted thanks~

Sunday, June 28, 2009 9:54 PM