HDD for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello members
    Is it easy enough to have two 750GB drives instead a larger one, or better said can I have one 750 GB drive now(cost) and add any more space needed at later date?
    And what type of drive should it be IDE or SATA
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 10:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The type of disk doesn't matter, IDE or SATA. IDE are slowly disappearing, so SATA is more futureproof, however you may well need to install drivers for WHS to see them.
    Having more than one disk means you can enable duplication for the Shared Folders giving some data security which you will not be able to do with only one disk.
    Howevber, you can easily start with one disk, and then just add more disks as you can afford to.
    If you haven't already, then it could be worthwhile having a read of the WHS documentation which is available here, or here.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The type of disk doesn't matter, IDE or SATA. IDE are slowly disappearing, so SATA is more futureproof, however you may well need to install drivers for WHS to see them.
    Having more than one disk means you can enable duplication for the Shared Folders giving some data security which you will not be able to do with only one disk.
    Howevber, you can easily start with one disk, and then just add more disks as you can afford to.
    If you haven't already, then it could be worthwhile having a read of the WHS documentation which is available here, or here.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Hi Colin
    Thanks for your input!
    Slowly but surely I get a picture. Is there a possibility for duplication of the shared folders?
    I am also looking for space to backup the MBP, which gives me a little headache but have read about some solutions.
    Is there anything else I should be aware off that may could change my mind?
    NT
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Hi,

You didn't mention what hardware you are using...
    As Colin mentioned, SATA is the way things are going and is usually easier to implement if your motherboard supports it.
    You can start with one drive, but be aware that it will be partitioned into a 20GB OS partition plus whatever-is-remaining DATA partition, and that the DATA partition on the first drive is the "landing zone" where transfers to the shares are initially done, so the first drive should be as large as possible.  750GB should be sufficient for most people.  I'm running two 640GB in my WHS.
    Adding additional drives is usually painless, and you can specify the role you wish it to have (extend or backup).
    As mentioned, a single drive setup will not support duplication.
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 6:36 PM