none
Something strange with new forum contributor recognition system and/or migration RRS feed

• Question

• To see what I mean, please compare these two profiles (just as an example that's easy to see):

My Profile

Another Profile

It seems the points and the breakdown of the contributions can't be reconciled.

As far as I am aware, the activity records for both profiles indicates nearly all the points are from prior to the changes to the contribution system being changed from the old 1-5 star system. This may suggest there was a problem during migration of prior contributions and/or the calculationg system.

Would be nice if this could be looked into. I'm sure Microsoft continues to value the community contributions being made on your forums and would like to recognise this reasonably accurately.

If it helps to know the timing of contributions, just about all of mine occured post Mix 2010 (March), supporting Windows Phone development up until when we were all moved to the new AppHub forums later in the year around release (and had all contributions reset to zero =O).

ps - has there been anything published on how the new "Recognition Points" are calculated? Just curious..

• Edited by Mick N Monday, October 24, 2011 6:12 AM
    • Moved by Naomi NModerator Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:47 AM Profile/recognition question (From:Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums)
    Monday, October 24, 2011 5:58 AM

Answers

• Oh, and this talks about how the points are calculated:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/ff395928.aspx#How_do_I_earn_points_

Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by the original question asker. +15
    Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by the original question asker in less than 8 hours. +20
    Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by a Moderator. +10
    Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by a Moderator in less than 8 hours. +15
    You identified a helpful topic. +5

- I think that means that you propose an answer and then the Asker or a Moderator confirms it.

Your forum question thread has more than 5 votes in it. +5
    Your forum question thread has more than 10 votes in it. +10
    Your forum post receives a vote by the community. +5
    Your forum question has a confirmed answer and has been viewed 20,000 times. +10
    Your forum question has a confirmed answer and has been viewed 40,000 times. +15

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mick N Friday, January 6, 2012 12:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mick N Friday, January 6, 2012 12:45 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:07 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Ed, Thanks for checking out my query - and for the info regarding my "ps".

In my OP, where I referred to "breakdown of my contribtions" I was refering to the Statistics section of the profile.

This looks different to when I posted the question 3 months ago, but I don't have a record to review how it has changed.

I can see the point totals and stats are conceivable as they are presented today, but still not reconcilable because the stats reporting is not at the same level of granularity as the points are calculated - in particular answers, who marked and within what timeframe. I'll mark the supplementary info as answering the original question having now re-reviewed this, despite the uncertainty that remains.

It's a shame the Windows Phone developer forum-wide lock included locking of upvotes.

Judging by the 20,000 view triggers ocurring in 8/11 and 9/11 it seems the posts there are still being helpful to people, but this cannot be recognised.

Combining this with contributions being reset to 0 when moved to the AppHub with and no reflection of contributions between MSDN and AppHub adds to this being an unfortunately disapointing system overall for this community.

• Edited by Mick N Friday, January 6, 2012 12:46 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 12:45 AM

All replies

• Thank you Naomi. I wasn't aware a subforum was dedicated to this topic.
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 6:06 AM
  • I don't see the issue. I thought the issue was the timeline, but from your description that seems to be correct as well.

What did I miss?

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:02 AM
    Owner
  • Oh, and this talks about how the points are calculated:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/ff395928.aspx#How_do_I_earn_points_

Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by the original question asker. +15
    Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by the original question asker in less than 8 hours. +20
    Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by a Moderator. +10
    Your forum post is confirmed as an answer by a Moderator in less than 8 hours. +15

- I think that means that you propose an answer and then the Asker or a Moderator confirms it.

Your forum question thread has more than 5 votes in it. +5
    Your forum question thread has more than 10 votes in it. +10
    Your forum post receives a vote by the community. +5
    Your forum question has a confirmed answer and has been viewed 20,000 times. +10
    Your forum question has a confirmed answer and has been viewed 40,000 times. +15

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mick N Friday, January 6, 2012 12:14 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:07 AM
    Owner
  • I think this

This is not how the above applied. In other words, your points are not incremented if you propose an answer that then lately became an official answer.

And this is correct.

The wording in the above is wrong - you get 5 points for every helpful vote on your reply.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Hi Ed, Thanks for checking out my query - and for the info regarding my "ps".

In my OP, where I referred to "breakdown of my contribtions" I was refering to the Statistics section of the profile.

This looks different to when I posted the question 3 months ago, but I don't have a record to review how it has changed.

I can see the point totals and stats are conceivable as they are presented today, but still not reconcilable because the stats reporting is not at the same level of granularity as the points are calculated - in particular answers, who marked and within what timeframe. I'll mark the supplementary info as answering the original question having now re-reviewed this, despite the uncertainty that remains.

It's a shame the Windows Phone developer forum-wide lock included locking of upvotes.

Judging by the 20,000 view triggers ocurring in 8/11 and 9/11 it seems the posts there are still being helpful to people, but this cannot be recognised.

Combining this with contributions being reset to 0 when moved to the AppHub with and no reflection of contributions between MSDN and AppHub adds to this being an unfortunately disapointing system overall for this community.

• Edited by Mick N Friday, January 6, 2012 12:46 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 12:45 AM