Error: "This record cannot be added because it already has a parent record." When trying to add contact to an Account. RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting the error: "This record cannot be added because it already has a parent record." when trying to add a contact to an account. (The contact already has a prent account.) In researching I found it is because of the 1:N relationship between account and contact.

I also found an old post about creating a custom N:N relationship, but it did not go into detail on how to accomplish this.

Can anyone help me out with this? I know I shouldn't be surprised, but it floors me to think that Microsoft would not realize that in many situations there is a need for a contact to belong to more than one Account. How about someone who owns more than one company? Or a Parent company who has the same President or CEO for more than one of their child companies. Same for companies with branch offices, it isn't too unusual to have an CEO or CFO work for more than one branch.

It is not realistic to add the contact multiple times, that would be too confusing.

Really hoping there is a solution to my issue and will appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Grlynn

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 2:38 AM

All replies

• The default relationship between Account and Contact is 1:N like you've found out. That means on the Contact there is a lookup field to map it to one specific Account.

If you want a Contact to be related to multiple Accounts you have a couple options:

Create a N:N relationship between Account and Contact

Settings -> Customizations -> Customize the System

Entities -> Account -> N:N Relationships

New -> Other Entity = Contact, Set the Display Options for both to Plural Name

Publish

Now on Account and Contact you should have the ability to add Contacts that already have a Parent Account

You could also use Connections to relate various records (not only Contacts) to an Account

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:01 AM
  • Jay,

Thank you for the quick reply. I tried the solution this morning, but still get the same error. Also tried a refresh after publishing all customizations. When I go to an account and try to add an existing contact I get the same "This record cannot be added because it already has a parent record." error. Here is the screen shot of the relationship screen.

AccountContactRelatinship

Hopefully the issue is something simple that I am not seeing. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help.

Grlynn

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:49 AM