Dells will not connect to WHS, home built PC's do connect RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I built a home server and all is happy except my Dell purchased laptop and desktop will not connect.  I have 3 home built PC's, 2 XP pro machines and one Vista Ultimate machine that love connecting to WHS.  No matter what I try to do from the Dell machines the connector software almost immediately errors out?  The Dells are a 1520 inspiron and a 531 dimension.  Both of these machines were running Symantec which I removed for Zone Alarm.  It does not appear to be a firewall problem because I can successfully connect to the WHS using the http and https connections in the connector troubleshooting guide???  I get the </>1</> and </>2</> outputs when I connect.  I'm going by memory on the outputs and from what I remember the outputs looked similiar to the </>...

Anyone else seen this type of problem?

Thanks in advance 

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my request.  When I got home from work I recalled that since I had removed the semantec firewall and replacing it with Zone Alarm I hadn't uninstalled and reinstalled the connector.  So after the re-installation of Connector all of my PC's are happily connecting to my home server.

Thanks again for your assistance

Dave

Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:37 AM

All replies

• No problem with my Dell X300 laptop running XP Pro so I don't think it is a generic Dell problem.

Phil

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 3:01 PM
  • Thanks Phil,

Your post pointed out to me that I failed to mention that both of these Dells are running Vista pro.

Dave

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 3:08 PM
  • You don't mention the specific error you're seeing when the Connector software errors out (specifics are always helpful), but I've had problems with the Connector software and the solution for me ended up being disconnecting my cable modem from the router and trying the software install again. And it worked!

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my request.  When I got home from work I recalled that since I had removed the semantec firewall and replacing it with Zone Alarm I hadn't uninstalled and reinstalled the connector.  So after the re-installation of Connector all of my PC's are happily connecting to my home server.

Thanks again for your assistance

Dave

Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:37 AM