Newbie Alert! Sync with Windows Home Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been told that SyncToy will allow me to sync selected folders on my PC with a shared folder on a Windows Home Server. Is there a walk-through for this?

Friday, January 16, 2009 6:03 PM

All replies

• Yes Nigel, you do this in SyncToy by creating a folder pair and specifying what king of synchronization you want between the two folders. The shared folder can be on any other machine as long as the machine from which you are syncing can access it remotely.

When you install SyncToy and bring up the UI, you should go through the "Create Folder pair" wizard and then sync from your PC to the remote share once the folder pair is created.

Friday, January 16, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Ive tried to do this myself...but cant seem to find the mapped  path in synch toy to my shared folders.

My goal is speciically to have at least mine if not mine and my wifes computers synched with the MUSIC and PICTURES folders so that if one of us adds soemthign new its copied to the folder at elast  and ideally to the other psersons desktop...

How can I add the  WHS shared folders sot aht they appear as  mappable location for setting up a shared pair?
    Monday, March 2, 2009 11:51 AM
  • DOH!

Never mind...just realized i had to map my shared folders in explorer so that it would appears as permanent , mapped drive ( aka Drive Z)

Now works fine....lets see if my frist synch works!
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 12:21 AM
  •  
    I would recommend *NOT* using Z:\. If you try opening a backup and you have a path mapped to z:\, it *will* fail to open. Just thought I should warn you.

Also, I have syncToy setup on my laptop, which syncs with my WHS.

On my deskptop, i have set the "Documents" folder to a shared folder on the WHS.

On the laptop, i have a duplicate of the pc's "documents" folder,

I then use synctoy as follows

On my laptop, i have a folder pair called documents which is synced with the WHS (\\server\folder) and (documents),

this setup works really well for me, as I always have the same docs on both machines, and they are always local to the laptop, so if I am away from my network, i am not reliant on an internet connection

this should work exactly the same for your photo's/music/videos folders.

Regards

Jody
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 10:41 PM