none
What did you do after NNTP Bridge stopped working?

General discussion

• Hello, guys. To be honest, what did you do after NNTP Bridge stopped working on Jun.17?

A. Say goodbye to the forums. I don't have any interest to continue participating in forums with web interface only.

B. Continue participating in forums with web interface only, but I feel it's not as efficient as using NNTP Bridge.

C. Continue participating in forums with web interface only, and I don't think it's worse than NNTP Bridge.

D. I've never used NNTP Bridge before, but I think the new web interface is not as efficient as the old version.

E. I've never used NNTP Bridge before, and I think the new web interface is better than the old version.

As for myself, my answer is A. I tried to force myself to choose option B, but I finally gave it up. I feel the new web interface is even worse than before.

• Changed type Alexis ZhangMVP Sunday, June 30, 2013 12:51 AM General Discussion.
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 12:49 AM

All replies

• Mostly a D for me. I used to use OE/Winmail as the frontend for old NNTP groups and I loved that setup. I did try the bridge a long time ago but there were just too many problems with it so I gave up and went with web forums. The recent change is pretty steep and I'm sure part is learning curve for me as well as bugs. I'm still trying to deal with it but my personal productivity is probably about a third of what it was before change.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 1:54 AM
  • D for me. My productivity is significantly lower than it used to in the previous Web Interface.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:58 AM
  • D for me. Ironically, I was considering giving the bridge a try even before the recent redesign. I was hoping maybe the bridge would give me some of the great features I remember from the old newsgroups (retired fall 2009 I believe). I could easily monitor 12 newgroups using OE/Winmail as my reader. 5 was my limit before the redesign. I've cut back considerably since.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:43 PM
  • I hope that it is B, but it may be A after a few more days here.

There is a tremendous opportunity here for someone to set up an NNTP based forum that allows HTML posts to support these products.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:57 PM
  • D for now, moving in the direction of A.
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:33 PM
  • I'm going to update this with a more definite A, considering I just saw an article that Microsoft is killing off TechNet subscriptions.

Microsoft has been making bad decision after bad decision. Time to get off this train before it crashes.

EDIT: Okay, the initial shock and anger has worn off. Hoping that enough feedback will help Microsoft change their minds. I still stay with D.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e5d501af-d4ea-4c0f-97c0-dfcef0192888/dont-retire-technet

Monday, July 1, 2013 8:07 PM
  • I hope that it is B, but it may be A after a few more days here.

There is a tremendous opportunity here for someone to set up an NNTP based forum that allows HTML posts to support these products.

That is the problem. They could do, but they refuse to do.
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:01 AM
  • I'm going to update this with a more definite A, considering I just saw an article that Microsoft is killing off TechNet subscriptions.

Microsoft has been making bad decision after bad decision. Time to get off this train before it crashes.

Strongly agree. And the worst thing is, almost everyone knows that the train will crash, but the driver of the train still insists.
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Strongly agree. And the worst thing is, almost everyone knows that the train will crash, but the driver of the train still insists.

Good timing, I was just putting in an edit to my post. =]

Hopefully Microsoft will listen.

Don't retire TechNet!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:07 AM
  • D for me. Ironically, I was considering giving the bridge a try even before the recent redesign. I was hoping maybe the bridge would give me some of the great features I remember from the old newsgroups (retired fall 2009 I believe). I could easily monitor 12 newgroups using OE/Winmail as my reader. 5 was my limit before the redesign. I've cut back considerably since.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

You could experience the same features via NNTP Bridge, because the newsreader is still the same as you used for the newsgroups (OE, Live Mail or whatever else). The only difference between real newsgroups and NNTP Bridge is the server. The former is a real newsgroups server, the latter is an emulated Bridge server.
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:14 AM
  • Mostly a D for me. I used to use OE/Winmail as the frontend for old NNTP groups and I loved that setup. I did try the bridge a long time ago but there were just too many problems with it so I gave up and went with web forums. The recent change is pretty steep and I'm sure part is learning curve for me as well as bugs. I'm still trying to deal with it but my personal productivity is probably about a third of what it was before change.

Maybe I was lucky, the NNTP Bridge always worked fine for me before it stopped working.

I never answered questions via web interface, I only used the old design of web interface to do moderator jobs. But now, when moving to the new design, I feel even the moderator jobs are more difficult to do than before, say nothing of answering questions via the new design. 

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:22 AM
  • D for me. My productivity is significantly lower than it used to in the previous Web Interface.

Strongly agree. The most obvious problem is, the longer a thread is, the harder to track and reply it.

For instance, the thread "The future of NNTP Bridge on MSDN" already has 70 replies. Everytime I open this thread, it consumes a very high CPU usage.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:29 AM
  • D for now, moving in the direction of A.

The new design has too many problems even use it only for moderator jobs.
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:32 AM
  • B. Continue participating in forums with web interface only, but I (know it's not as efficient for me) as using NNTP Bridge.  My participation is WAY down. :(

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:17 PM
  • My participation is way down too.  I was hoping to be able to use the web interface exclusively, but there was a very real synergy between the NNTP and web interface that is now gone.   I suspect it was the fact that it was so efficient for me to use NNTP for discovery and use the web for composition of my contributions.   It is now so expensive to my time, that even though I really want to read and contribute, I just literally don't have the time.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:23 PM
  • B. Continue participating in forums with web interface only, but I (know it's not as efficient for me) as using NNTP Bridge.  My participation is WAY down. :(

My participation is way down too. It's a great waste of time.
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:50 AM
  • My participation is way down too.  I was hoping to be able to use the web interface exclusively, but there was a very real synergy between the NNTP and web interface that is now gone.   I suspect it was the fact that it was so efficient for me to use NNTP for discovery and use the web for composition of my contributions.   It is now so expensive to my time, that even though I really want to read and contribute, I just literally don't have the time.

Me too.

I am still concerning some questions I answered via NNTP Bridge before it stopped working. But now it's even hard for me to find them.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:54 AM
  • But now it's even hard for me to find them.

Is this a comment on the effectiveness of the forum search?  ; )

If this

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/436c0821-e7a7-4ba6-8a0a-b34b0ec37ba6/how-to-use-the-search-of-the-forum

would live up to its promise we might have a useful alternative to Google (or BING if they ever let us use inurl:  again.)

The new forum search is even more useless than the old one when you are trying to search for something specific because it appears to do implicit OR for all search terms in the query and does not support AND.  This is worse than the MSDN and TechNet offline library search once was when a new search service codenamed Okapi was tried with it but at least allowed explicit Boolean overrides.  In fact, I'm wondering if this forum may be trying to revive Okapi.   ; \

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, July 14, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Hello, guys. To be honest, what did you do after NNTP Bridge stopped working on Jun.17?

A. Say goodbye to the forums. I don't have any interest to continue participating in forums with web interface only.

B. Continue participating in forums with web interface only, but I feel it's not as efficient as using NNTP Bridge.

My answer is both A and B. That is, I'm participating in forums in web interface only, but not here. I'm only monitoring "My Threads" here, but the only threads to have new posts are meta-threads like this one...

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Sunday, July 14, 2013 10:05 PM
  • I have discovered that you can request an RSS feed of a forum's topics that creates an RSS message of activity in that forum.  I use Thunderbird as my RSS reader and can easily create an email alert for a thread after using the link in the RSS feed message to access the webpage for a thread.   Works pretty good.
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:41 PM