none
What permissions should the built-in website have? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have been making unsupported modificatinos to my fully updated, self-built WHS machine. (I have WHIIST installed, and added MySQL and PHP to the mix.) Somewhere in the midst of my meddling, I managed to totally screw up the permissions for my default WHS login page.

Currently, when you go to my WHS: jrrver.homeserver.com, you see:

HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to an ACL set on the requested resource.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

I know this refers to the permissions on the Hard Drive. I have gone through and given FULL access to the IUSR_machinename account but that doesn't seem to fix it.

Further, the REST of my home server website is working just fine: blog and my picture gallery. Literally, the website associated with the WHS logon page (where you log in to do remote desktop or upload files) is the only thing broken.

So, can someone check the permissions on theirs and let me know? Or, even better, does someone know a way to get that HTTP 401.3 error page to tell me WHAT resource it's having trouble accessing?

Thanks in advance,
    J.R.
    • Edited by jrronimo Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:54 PM fix HTML
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Everyone,

I have been making unsupported modificatinos to my fully updated, self-built WHS machine. (I have WHIIST installed, and added MySQL and PHP to the mix.) Somewhere in the midst of my meddling, I managed to totally screw up the permissions for my default WHS login page.

Currently, when you go to my WHS: jrrver.homeserver.com, you see:

HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to an ACL set on the requested resource.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

I know this refers to the permissions on the Hard Drive. I have gone through and given FULL access to the IUSR_machinename account but that doesn't seem to fix it.

Further, the REST of my home server website is working just fine: blog and my picture gallery. Literally, the website associated with the WHS logon page (where you log in to do remote desktop or upload files) is the only thing broken.

So, can someone check the permissions on theirs and let me know? Or, even better, does someone know a way to get that HTTP 401.3 error page to tell me WHAT resource it's having trouble accessing?

Thanks in advance,
    J.R.

You could always temporarily install WHS in a VM environment and see what the default settings are.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:54 AM