none
What happens when retention period expires? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an application with a download-only synchronization between a SQL Server 2008 server and a SQL Compact client both using change tracking.

I have discovered that after a while in production, certain records does not get updated on the client when changed on the server. By catching the ApplyChangedFailed event, I can see that ClientUpdateServerUpdate conflicts are detected for these records.

So my question is: What happens on the client - and on the server for that matter - when the retention period expires? Is the record marked as updated and do I thus have to handle the conflict either through ApplyChangedFailed event or the SyncConflictResolver?

Thank you beforehand,

Morten Schou

Friday, October 7, 2011 7:22 AM

All replies

• a ClientUpdateServerUpdate conflict occurs when a row that's updated on one replica is also updated on the other.

when the retention period expires, the change metadata is removed and i dont think the base table rows are actually updated to reflect this metadata cleanup.

when you sync a client with outdated timestamp compared to what's in the change tracking information, you will actually get an error stating that the client needs to be re-initialized.

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:43 AM