My Main Log-in Identity Is Gone! RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am running Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 4500.  Windows Live One Care has been installed and running fine for about a year and a half.  However, this morning Windows told me that it needed to shut down to install updates.  I shut the computer down.  Later in the day I restarted and my main log-in identity was gone!  Only my wife's (seldom used) identity was visible.  So I clicked on that and tried to do a System Restore, but it said that I had to be an administrator to use System Restore.  And, of course, the administrator ID is the one that is gone.  What can I do to get my log-in identity back again?

Thanks in advance,

Kyle H. in Ohio

• Changed type JimR1Moderator Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:38 PM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:38 PM Off topic. (From:Windows Live OneCare Update)
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Friday, July 17, 2009 12:19 PM not a onecare issue, but a onecare user (From:Windows Live OneCare – Off Topic)
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hello, Kyle.
    Your post was moved to the off topic folder as it is not a OneCare problem, rather a Windows issue. The most common reason for this is that your profile was corrupt on restart. You may be able to resolve this simply by rebooting the machine once again.
    If not, reboot one more time and press F8 repeatedly as it is powering up to get to the boot menu and select "last known good configuration."
    If that doesn't work, you may be able seek help via Windows Update support information as the problem occurred after the updates:

Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, July 17, 2009 12:22 PM