Cannot set up a Canon IP4600 on WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Canon IP4600 connected to my HP Microserver running WHS2011.  There are no Canon drivers for WHS and Canon Customer support told me that it's because they don't support servers for this printer, however I have read around and there are some people who have commented, saying that they have an IP4600 running on WHS.  I'm just enquiring as to how they did it.  I intend to have it running on a Print Server, but that doesn't seem to be the stumbling block here, I just can't get them to work together.

I've tried....

A 64bit driver package from cnet.com,

Canon's official Windows7 64 bit driver,

I've tried manually taking the .inf file from my Win7 x64 machine,

I've tried the driver that comes with WHS 2011,

Absolutely none of them work.  I'd really appreciate some help :)

Thanks in advance.

Monday, March 26, 2012 12:41 PM

All replies

• You don't tell us what specific issue you're having; that's going to make it difficult to help you.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, March 26, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

When trying both the 64bit driver package from Cnet and the driver that comes with WHS 2011 appear to install correctly with no errors, but the printer is completely unresponsive and won't even print a test page.  When printing it doesn't come up with an error and even seems to think that the document has printed (i.e. the document doesn't get stuck in the queue).

The .inf file from my Win 7 PC will not install.  It comes up with an error about the driver being incompatible.

The driver that I downloaded from Canon's web site doesn't install as it says that it can't find a compatible printer.

I'm thinking of resorting to banging my head against it. 

Monday, March 26, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Sorry to bump this.  Is there nothing I can do?

I would really like to be running WHS2011 but if I can't do this, I'll end up running Win7 instead, but I'd be gutted to be losing out on the WHS features. :(

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:50 PM
  • Really, you've already had an answer from Canon, who have said that they don't support the way you want to use this printer. If others have said they got it to work,I'm sure it's possible to force the Windows 7 drivers to install, but I don't know how, and I wouldn't trust that you'd have a trouble-free experience if you did manage to get them to install and recognize the printer.

What I would recommend is something you probably don't want to hear: choose a network printer, preferably a network multi-function printer. It will have the functionality you want built in.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Thanks again for the replies.

It looks like I'll have to revert to my last method of connecting the printer to a network USB hub.  It's a shame as being a new owner of a server for the first time, it would be nice to have been able to put it to use as a print server.  I guess it's just going to be a fancy NAS drive then.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Strictly speaking, it's reasonable to say that using Windows Home Server as a print server is "unsupported", since there's no way to install or administer a printer in the dashboard. That said, it's not actually very hard to do in most cases, but the degree of difficulty (and probability of success) is related to the choice of the printer being installed for sharing. In your case, you have an inexpensive printer, which the manufacturer doesn't support in the environment you want to use it in. If you choose a different printer, particularly one intended for a small office/workgroup environment, you'd probably have an easier time.

To put it another way, it's the printer, not the server, and for most home users, a network aware multifunction is a better choice than trying to share a printer from your server, because you'll have access (from any networked computer with appropriate drivers installed) to all of the functionality, while Windows will generally only share the printer itself, not the scanner, fax capabilities (if any), etc.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:30 PM