Can not install CRM 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I had a trial CRM 4.0 that was setup to a test SQLServer to play with.  I never got the reports to work for some reason.

Now I am trying to setup a "production" CRM 4.0 system, and I decided to install everything on one machine so it would be easy.

I started with a clean install on Win2k3 SP2 with all critical and high updates installed, machine name CrestedHornShark.

It was joined to the domain.

The machine then appears in networking a either "CrestedHornShar" or "CrestedHornShark.<domain>.local"

IIS 6.0 was then added using Add/Remove Programs.

Various other CRM prereq's were installed and verified.

A domain user account (CRMServer) was created and marked as can delegate but can't itself be delegated.

Account was added to the machine's local policy as can log on as service and as batch.

SQL Server Std was installed with Analysis and Reporting services, set to run under the above user account.

After install and verifying that going to http://crestedhornshark/reports worked, SQL Server SP2 was installed.

All seemed ready to roll and CRM 4.0 install was started.

Picked the local SQLServer from the drop down which appeared as "CrestedHornShar"

Went through all the other prompts.

Picked CRMServer account to be the service account here too.

Only thing I skipped was the email router just before it verifys before install starts.

In verification it has 2 issues:

1) Warning regarding need to check the SPN for the user account.

2) Error saying the SQLServer instance name has to be the same as the machine name.

For #1 I did research and tried to use SETSPN to add 2 SPNs to the user account:

setspn -s http/crestedhornshar <domain>\CRMServer

setspn -s http/crestedhornshark.<domain>.local <domain>\CRMServer

this did not fix the problem and I was at a loss as to how to fix it, but it is only a warning so I moved on.

#2 above I assume is why I'm blocked from continuing the install.  For this one I tried a lot of things, and nothing has made a difference.

I can open the SQLServer in Management Studio and it is running just fine, allong with all the other services needed.  They are all using the default instance name MSSQLSERVER which means they are accessed using the machine name.

I've spent 2 days getting to this point and I don't know what is wrong.  I don't know if I need to start over and name the machine with a shorter name, or to reinstall SQLServer with an instance name the same as the machine name.

I'm a bit frustrated at how difficult his has been, especially since I did a similar thing to install Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2008 just last week.  It took a clean default install of SQLServer except has to check to install but not configure Reporting Services and it took care of the rest.  All of that is running under a domain user account named TFSServer, and it couldn't have gone smoother.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix either or both of my issues above?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:28 PM

Answers

• I went so far as to try renaming the system to "CrestedHornShar" and then following the steps to make SQLServer match that. But still CRM install refused to like the SQLServer install and so I wasn't able to install CRM.

So, I started all over again.  Wiped the HD, Clean install of Win2k3 and named the system Clymene this time.  Then the windows updates, SQLServer plain install except included the Report Services and I let it run using Local System account this time.  Then SQLSever SP2 and other minor pre-req's. Another run of Windows Update.  Finally CRM install, and I chose to have it run in the Local Network Service account this time.  The install ran right through this time with any issues!

CRM seems to be running fine, is accessable through the web URL and using the Outlook Client, so I can't see why the Installation Guide wanted to use Domain user accounts for everything in the all on one system installation steps.  Yes, I know it is necessary when running distributed.

I finished that late Friday and started a new thread with a question on how to move data from a set of "dead" CRM 4.0 databases into this new CRM 4.0 install.  By "dead" I mean that the databases if connected to a CRM setup refuse to work ... all you get are exceptions thrown in the CRM website when trying to connect.  The actual data is all I want to recover.

Today I'm posting this to closeout this thread.

Monday, March 3, 2008 1:43 PM

All replies

• Your problem may well be due to data in the SQL server system tables, if the SQL server machine had been renamed after SQL was installed

Have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303774 for instructions on how to update the SQL system data (don't worry that it refers to SQL 2000)

Thursday, February 28, 2008 9:27 PM
  •  

Dear,

Its means you have to define your MSSQL Server and change the instance name.  Its all about installation of SQL Server on the computer. If not you put [local] in the wizard.

Best is see MS CRM Implementation guide.

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Friday, February 29, 2008 5:47 AM
  • David,

The machine was named when it was created and well before SQLServer was installed.

This is one of the things I've already read and tried.

A "SELECT @@servername" returned "CRESTEDHORNSHAR"

I tried changing it to "CRESTEDHORNSHARK" but it didn't help.

Friday, February 29, 2008 1:46 PM
  • Imran,

I tried to put "(local)" into the install and got the exact same error message, that the instance name must match the server name.

Friday, February 29, 2008 1:50 PM
  • I went so far as to try renaming the system to "CrestedHornShar" and then following the steps to make SQLServer match that. But still CRM install refused to like the SQLServer install and so I wasn't able to install CRM.

So, I started all over again.  Wiped the HD, Clean install of Win2k3 and named the system Clymene this time.  Then the windows updates, SQLServer plain install except included the Report Services and I let it run using Local System account this time.  Then SQLSever SP2 and other minor pre-req's. Another run of Windows Update.  Finally CRM install, and I chose to have it run in the Local Network Service account this time.  The install ran right through this time with any issues!

CRM seems to be running fine, is accessable through the web URL and using the Outlook Client, so I can't see why the Installation Guide wanted to use Domain user accounts for everything in the all on one system installation steps.  Yes, I know it is necessary when running distributed.

I finished that late Friday and started a new thread with a question on how to move data from a set of "dead" CRM 4.0 databases into this new CRM 4.0 install.  By "dead" I mean that the databases if connected to a CRM setup refuse to work ... all you get are exceptions thrown in the CRM website when trying to connect.  The actual data is all I want to recover.

Today I'm posting this to closeout this thread.

Monday, March 3, 2008 1:43 PM