Computers and Backup tab missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!  I am on my third day of evaluating WHS and this morning I woke to a strange problem.  When opening up WHS's console I noticed that the Computer and Backup tab was missing on the console.  The backup now option is still present when right clicking the systray icon.  I rebooted the server and clients to no avail.  I have searched around and have not found anything about this.  Any ideas on how to restore this will be greatly appreciated :)
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:08 PM

Answers

• Midway40 said:

As a matter of fact I did install the Advanced Admin plug-in last night.  Will I have to do a repair reinstall?

If I ever get this fixed I am swearing off add-ins, lol.

EDIT:  I did uninstall the AA plug-in and rebooted the server but the C&B tab is still missing.

You should contact the author of the add-in to see if there might be another way to clean it up.  If not, I'm afraid Server Reinstallation is your only option.
    • Marked as answer by Midway40 Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:04 PM
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:57 PM

All replies

• Midway40 said:

Hello everyone!  I am on my third day of evaluating WHS and this morning I woke to a strange problem.  When opening up WHS's console I noticed that the Computer and Backup tab was missing on the console.  The backup now option is still present when right clicking the systray icon.  I rebooted the server and clients to no avail.  I have searched around and have not found anything about this.  Any ideas on how to restore this will be greatly appreciated :)

Did you install any add-ins or other apps?  If so, one of them may be causing the problem.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:31 PM
  • As a matter of fact I did install the Advanced Admin plug-in last night.  Will I have to do a repair reinstall?

EDIT:  I did uninstall the AA plug-in and rebooted the server but the C&B tab is still missing.
    • Edited by Midway40 Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:28 PM
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Midway40 said:

As a matter of fact I did install the Advanced Admin plug-in last night.  Will I have to do a repair reinstall?

You should contact the author of the add-in to see if there might be another way to clean it up.  If not, I'm afraid Server Reinstallation is your only option.
    • Marked as answer by Midway40 Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:04 PM
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Oh well, thanks for your input, kariya :)  I know now what my Sunday afternoon will be like, lol.

So far I am liking WHS and will probably purchase it.   I just need to let things be :)
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Midway40 said:

Oh well, thanks for your input, kariya :)  I know now what my Sunday afternoon will be like, lol.

So far I am liking WHS and will probably purchase it.   I just need to let things be :)

FWIW, I use very few add-ins (IMO, most of them are unnecessary, and if I don't see any value in it, I'm not installing it on my server).  The ones I use are:

avast! AntiVirus for WHS
    Amazon Jungle Disk for WHS
    Microsoft WHS Toolkit
    Disk Management (this is the only one I use that is not written by a company)

I've always lived by the motto "less is more". :)

As for Server Reinstallation, you should be able to boot from the DVD and select that as an option.  It's a special install that will only wipe the OS partition, leaving everything else alone.  If you don't get that option, don't proceed any further because the other option (New Installation) will wipe everything.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:15 PM
  • I was just in a forum where this add-in was being discussed and appears I am lucky.  Some users were complaining that there were NO tabs in their console after installing AA.  If I had checked this out before I wouldn't have installed it.  Moral of story is to research the add-ins before installing them.  Another life lesson learned, lol.

Well, thanks again.  I am off to the wonderful world of server reinstallation :D

Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:24 PM
  • That did not work either.  After the reinstallation the C&B tab is still not appearing.  On top of that I cannot access the server share folders any more :( 
    • Edited by Midway40 Sunday, September 21, 2008 6:23 PM
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 6:21 PM
  • Midway40 said:

That did not work either.  After the reinstallation the C&B tab is still not appearing.  On top of that I cannot access the server share folders any more :( 

Did you do a Server Reinstallation?  If so, you need to re-create the users in the WHS Console in order to gain access to the shares.  As for the C&B tab, can you try it from the server desktop and see if it works there?  (NOTE:  Accessing the server desktop is unsupported and, if not used correctly, can cause significant issues with your server installation.)
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:08 PM
  •  I did do a Reinstallation, not a new install.  I could not access the shares within the server and I did access the server desktop's console which had no C&B tab.

However I was able to change folder permissions to get what I needed off the shares onto a DVD disk (I haven't put that much into them yet) and I am now performing a new installation.  At least this time I know the right way to install the connector software on Vista (running setup.exe as administrator) and my router is correctly port forwarding the needed ports so it will not take as long as it did last time, lol.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:24 PM
  • I just finished the new install and now have the C&B tab again :)

But this has got me to thinking:  when I purchase WHS I have to do a server reinstallation over the evaluation, correct?  If so, what happens when I cannot access the shares again?
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Midway40 said:

I just finished the new install and now have the C&B tab again :)

Glad to hear you got it back.  I'm a little concerned you didn't get it after a Server Reinstallation though.  Did you try formatting the C partition do make sure everything was gone from it?

Midway40 said:

But this has got me to thinking:  when I purchase WHS I have to do a server reinstallation over the evaluation, correct?

Correct.

Midway40 said:

If so, what happens when I cannot access the shares again?

After a Server Reinstallation, you need to recreate the user accounts that were on the server through the WHS Console (matching username and password exactly as it was before).  After you completed the Reinstallation process, did you try that?  It should have worked.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Well, I thought everything was ok.  A couple hours later the C&B tab disappeared again and I haven't the faintest idea what is causing it.  I got frustrated that it happened after I had to call in the activation (which was my 2nd one--apparently you only get one online activation instance with the evaluation) so I just went back to my regular network setup.

After all of the events of today I will take a breather for awhile and decide whether to try it again or not.

Thanks for the help anyway :)
    Monday, September 22, 2008 5:43 AM
  • I just wanted to post an update.  I took a chance and purchased an OEM copy of WHS w/PP1 and installed it last Wednesday.  So far the C&B tab has stayed put and I also managed to get my remote access working as well (I didn't mention this as I was going to after getting the C&B tab working).  Only thing I can think of is that I had a bad evaluation disk which caused the problem.

Anyway I am happy with WHS :)
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:47 PM