none
Problem reporting an issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

is anyone else having problems reporting issues? I've tried three times to report an issue in the General Windows Desktop Development Issues forum and each time I submit the issue it comes back with 'Unexpected Error' and I'm unable to proceed. There are no further details about the 'Unexpected Error' and no help as to what caused it or what to do about it.

Can anyone help?

Kind regards,

RobDev

Saturday, February 2, 2019 2:55 PM

Answers

• If you have found a work around then that's great and I would stick with that going forward. There are many small quirks and bugs in the forums applications for which one can usually work around as you have done. Personally I would not be too concerned with it. If you want to pursue the issue then I send an email with details to fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, February 3, 2019 3:38 PM

All replies

• What browser are you using? Might check for updates or try clear cache, resetting it. Also try from a different pc

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 2, 2019 3:11 PM
  • Hi Dave,

many thanks for your reply. I've tried reporting the issue with both IE11 and Edge. I get the same result each time. I initially thought it might be a problem with the Forum website that might be rectified by Microsoft but I tried entering the report yesterday and today and I still get the 'Unexpected Error'.

I don't know if this is relevant but I did upload 2 screenshots when reporting the issue. However, they were both less than the 1024MB size limit. Could this have been the problem?

Kind regards,

RobDev

Saturday, February 2, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Could have been the pictures, yes. Might try posting with a single pic, then if successful edit the post adding the second one. I post many pictures (screenshots) but they're almost always less than 100k in size so might want to reduce them a bit as a test.

Saturday, February 2, 2019 3:22 PM
  • Just a test, this jpg is 72K.

Uploading the image was fine, but navigating to find the jpg caused several errors. I finally had to just enter the file name. I could not scroll without moving folders and files. But I am using a Surface tablet with Windows 10. I suspect a recent update changed how it behaves. Do you have a touch screen?

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Saturday, February 2, 2019 3:31 PM
  • Hi Dave,

actually the image limit is 1024KB not MB, sorry about that. The two screenshots I uploading are 891KB and 791KB respectively. Both well below the advertised limit. I see the Richard (below) has posted a72K screenshot without a problem, could either of you try something a bit bigger to see if you get the same problem as I do?

Kind regards,

RobDev

Saturday, February 2, 2019 3:41 PM
  • Yes, 741k worked fine. Might try reducing the size or try a different browser, try a different pc as a test. You can do your testing here in sandbox

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=tnsandbox

Also in case you can't post any pictures your account may have somehow missed verification.

You can expedite verification by replying to this thread with your request.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dc4002e4-e3de-4b1e-9a97-3702387886cc/verify-account-42?forum=reportabug

Sticky located at top of Forums Issues (not product support) forum

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=reportabug 

Saturday, February 2, 2019 3:45 PM
  • I was able to insert 838K image (jpg). But I dare not attempt to scroll again on my touch screen tablet, or I will move things and generate errors.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Saturday, February 2, 2019 3:52 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I'm a bit pushed for time for testing at the moment. I'll try out your suggestion on Monday and let you know how it goes. Many thanks.

Kind regards,

RobDev

Saturday, February 2, 2019 3:53 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

Saturday, February 2, 2019 3:54 PM
  • Hi Richard,

the image upload popup states the following:

"Maximum allowed image size is 1024 KB. You can upload only 9 Images per message."

Now, I'm wondering if the 1024KB limit means the limit applied to the sum of the sizes of all images being uploaded (I maybe clutching at straws here). So, I have created a test image of size 805KB and am going to insert it into this reply twice which (will take it over the 1024KB total) and then submit the reply and see what happens:

Here's the next one:

Now, I'm going to submit the reply.

RobDev

Sunday, February 3, 2019 2:26 PM
  • Hi Richard,

well, that worked so that's not the problem.

I've tried resubmitting my original issue just in case there had been a problem with the MSDN website but it failed again with the same 'Unexpected Error'.

I also tried reducing the size of the images to 224KB and 244KB but I still got the same error.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

RobDev

• Edited by RobDev Sunday, February 3, 2019 2:59 PM
    Sunday, February 3, 2019 2:27 PM
  • Please do the test posting in sandbox forum, not here. Also try, as I mentioned, to post a single screen shot and if successful then edit and add the second one.

Sunday, February 3, 2019 2:55 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I've tried adding my original issue to the Technet Sandbox but tried adding it as I had originally i.e. with both images. I got the same 'Unexpected Error'. So I then removed both images and resubmitted the issue and that failed too with the same error. I then removed a block of HTML code the was part of the issue explanation and resubmitted it and it worked. I then added back in the code block and resubmitted and that worked too.

I then added back the original images (891KB and 791KB) one at a time, resubmitting each time, and that worked too. Do you have any ideas as to what's happening here?

If you want to see the Sandbox entry the link is:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/15fdb17a-9ce5-487f-bdd8-6c0477c71d39/uwphtmlemulator-text-size-display-problem?forum=tnsandbox

Kind regards,

RobDev

Sunday, February 3, 2019 3:33 PM
  • If you have found a work around then that's great and I would stick with that going forward. There are many small quirks and bugs in the forums applications for which one can usually work around as you have done. Personally I would not be too concerned with it. If you want to pursue the issue then I send an email with details to fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com

Sunday, February 3, 2019 3:38 PM
  • Hi Dave,

many thanks for your reply. Although I've tried creating the issue in the sandbox I haven't yet tried it in the 'proper' forum. I'll be trying that next.

It's a bit worrying that, as you say, there are many small quirks and bugs in the forums applications. If something like this happens it's a real pain to try and find a work around. It would be nice if the error message was a little more helpful.

I've not heard of the email address you gave me. Is fissues@microsoft.com correct?

Kind regards,

RobDev

Sunday, February 3, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Correct, munged to deter the spam harvesters.

Sunday, February 3, 2019 3:54 PM