Whs Console always requires me to login in twice or more RRS feed

• Question

• This occures on all my desktop and Laptop PCs - Vista, XP and 7
    All running the latest version of connector - but the problem was here before the latest connector as well. In fact I have never seen it work first time more than a couple of occassions

So what happens:-
    Console starts and requests the password - 1st it doesn't grab focus so you have to click on the password entry box before you can enter the password (pain)
    Enter the password real slowly to make sure it is absolutly the right password. - click the arrow or press return (return seems very questionable so I usually click the arrow)
    The password dots stay on the screen - ie not replaced by the scrolling green bar.
    Eventuaslly I get message saying can't connect to server - make sure it is turned on etc...
    Try again without retyping the password - same thing happens although occassionally I do get in on a second attempt done this way.
    Retype the password - again very slowly to ensure it is correct - click the arrow - usually the password box changes to green and I get in.
    In short - I can never get in first time even if the server has been up for ever and so has the desktop.

This is annoying rather than critical but I would like to try to overcome this behaviour.

Thanks in advance

Kev
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 8:02 AM

Answers

• Please, submit the bug. I can't say when (or even if) it will get fixed if you do so, but I can guarantee that it will never get addressed if nobody reports it and submits logs. I'll report bugs I can recreate myself, but you're having an issue that I don't, so there's nothing I can do.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 15, 2009 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Kev,
    how are the client PCs connected - wired or wireless?
    What is the output of ipconfig /all? (What you describe, could well point to a name resolution problem, potential caused by having a DNS server or your ISP configured instead of your router or by using a DNS Suffix or DNS Suffix Search list.
    All these would cause your console to search for the server in the Internet first.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:30 AM
  • The PCs are connected bot wired and wireless - no difference

IPconfig /all from a wireless laptop is

C:\Users\Kevin>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kevs-laptop
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-??-??-??-??-00
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::????:????:????:d20%14(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.67(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 01 April 2009 08:22:47
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 02 April 2009 08:22:47
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234887390
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-11-51-57-33-00-13-A9-28-5E-DF

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-??-??-??-??-DF
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

So DNS is configured as the router - I have no problems connecting RDC only with the console (but I always get in second or third attempt)

Thanks

Kev

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Hi Kev,
    I would remove the DNS suffix home, other than that I don't see anything strange here.
    Is the console also sluggish, if you login to your server via Remote Desktop and start it directly on the server?

You could also try to reset the console, which is done in Options (below the password field).
    Which Add-Ins are installed? Maybe its one of those then, causing the issue (especially if the slow response also is happening on the server locally).

Which system protection software is installed on the clients,  is it for sure free of malware?
    Olaf
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:07 AM
  • How do I remove the suffix home on the client?

I would not describe the console as sluggish it just needs repeated attempts to login.
    Happens with a fresh install of WHS as well as my current install which has only one addin - Avast Server
    Clients all run avast as well
    All report clean

Thanks

kev
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 10:41 AM
  • Hi Kev,
    if you receive the IP address via DHCP from your router, the DNS suffix is configured somewhere in the router interface usually.
    How to remove it in the routers interface, should be part of the routers documentation.

You can also check, what happens, if you disable the feature on a client PC, that the computer can disable this device for saving power (in device manager in the properties of the network card).

Olaf
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 12:10 PM
  • Computer can disable this device for power saving is not enabled - so I have been right through my BT Home Hub and I can't find any reference to home in any of the settings on the basic or advanced tabs. I have googled BT Home Hub DNS settings and I can't find any reference on how to change it from home.

Uless the problem lies elsewhere I am stuck with the annoying behaviour until I get rid of the home hub and switch to a different ISP.

Thanks

Kev
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Hi Kev,
    either it is in the DHCP settings of the router (or may be the router is putting it in from somewhere else - could be home your SSID?) or it is fixed in the properties of the network configuration (which you would know, if you have done it).

Olaf 
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Another thing you could check:
    On the client run
    control keymgr.dll
    from Start/Run.
    Check if there are references pointing to your home server. If there are any, delete them.
    Olaf

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:59 PM
  • No menntion of server in there

thanks
    Kev
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Have had similar problems, changed my router from a Linksys befsx41 to a Cisco rvs4000 and all is well!
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:53 PM
  • I have a spare Netgear router - so I will give it a try in place of the Thomson (BT) router. I am on holiday for a few days so I will give it a try when I return.

Thanks

Kev
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:19 AM
  • The problem still exits and the items marked as answers are not answers - I have tried different routers with no change.
    The situation is very consistant I have to login 2 or 3 times but then get it OK

Kev
    Friday, May 15, 2009 7:01 AM
  • Hi Kev,
    can you check the Event Logs of the server for related error messages and warnings (including failed attempts in the security log)?
    Does the problem happen also with wired clients (could be that your WLAN is interrupted then, so that the authentication packets are not arriving in good connection)?
    Did you try another network cable on your server and are the network drivers on clients and server up to date?

Olaf
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:58 AM
  • There is absolutly nothing in the event logs that relates to console or login security failures.
    It happens on all PCs wether connected wired or wireless. The server lan cable has been changed the router has been changed, all systems are up to date.
    I am not prepared to research this any further. I can always connect but it just takes two or three attempts 90% of the time.

Thanks for all your efforts

Like most Microsoft products the first version demonstrates the concepts and works for many but it is not until a full version 2 release that it starts to work well for everyone.

Regards

kev
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Kev, could you please submit a bug report on Connect for the console not grabbing focus when it asks for the password?

The very first time you run the console after your server restarts it may take quite a while to start up. This seems to be related to processor speed, memory, etc. (The usual low-end hardware performance bottlenecks, in other words.) My experience is that it could take a minute or more. After that it usually takes only about 30 seconds to connect; much of this is just setting up the remote desktop connection that the console uses to display on client PCs. The only times I've seen the "incorrect password" issue you describe have been right after my server has restarted, when it's still loading processes into memory, etc. If I wait 5 minutes after a restart, I never see that.

So for the "incorrect password" issue, bug that on Connect too. For that you should probably include a set of logs from your server, collected using the Windows Home Server toolkit. (Toolkit available through this link, manual here.)

Friday, May 15, 2009 3:28 PM
  • server has been running forever and has 4 gig of memory 2.6g  core 2 duo  on a 1gb network.

The problem is not incorrect password the password is stored and I just keep hitting try the login button and eventually it changes green and I get in - once I get the green scroll the console loads in a few seconds.

i'll live with it

thanks

kev
    Friday, May 15, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Please, submit the bug. I can't say when (or even if) it will get fixed if you do so, but I can guarantee that it will never get addressed if nobody reports it and submits logs. I'll report bugs I can recreate myself, but you're having an issue that I don't, so there's nothing I can do.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 3:53 PM