RAM RRS feed

• Question

• I have researched a bit on the net, but there is no definitive answer.
    WHS states that 512MB of RAM is needed and recommended.
    Most systems benefit from having more RAM, is this not the case with WHS as people seem to thing 512 is enough?

Thanks as always
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:52 AM

Answers

• 512 MB is far from being fun. A core WHS with only its main functions on will run - not very fast, but it will do.
    But as soon as you want performance, want to use more than only one or two Add-Ins or run a Virus scanner on the server (or unsupported stuff like WSUS), an upgrade of RAM is mandatory in my opinion. 2 GB should be enough for the most usage scenarios of WHS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Tiberium Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:35 AM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:26 AM

All replies

• I believe the 512 MB is the very minimum that WHS needs in order to function.  The actual ideal would be 1 to 3 GB's in order to function ideally.
    john
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:07 PM
  • But most of the people that I have seen with listed specs for WHS servers have 512mb, lets be honest its not really doing much is it and as the price of DDR400 is more expensive than DDR2 I wanted to check opinions before I bought more RAM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:20 PM
  • ...512mb, lets be honest its not really doing much is it...
    If write speeds are important to you AND you work with large media files, then 2GB RAM can do a lot for you.  WHS uses the system RAM as file write cache and files larger than available RAM will move at a fraction of the MB/s rate of small files (like 1/3 to 1/10th).
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:35 PM
  • 512 MB is far from being fun. A core WHS with only its main functions on will run - not very fast, but it will do.
    But as soon as you want performance, want to use more than only one or two Add-Ins or run a Virus scanner on the server (or unsupported stuff like WSUS), an upgrade of RAM is mandatory in my opinion. 2 GB should be enough for the most usage scenarios of WHS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Tiberium Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:35 AM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:26 AM
  • I bought the HP EX470 with 512MB and I can tell you that it's not enough. The disk activity was almost constant and the performance was not optimal. I upgraded to 2 GB and the difference is huge. No disk thrashing at all (obviously except when it's doing its maintenance tasks). I think that HP should have been put at least 1 GB.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 7:56 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification people :-)
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:35 AM