Live OneCare about to expire RRS feed

• Question

• Bought my Live One Care in a box at a retail store last year. My subscription is about to expire and I do not wish to continue to use OneCare. Is there anything special to do or can I just uninstall the software. I get the following from Billing and Account Management page.
    No billing accounts
    This Windows Live ID does not currently have a billing relationship with Microsoft. MSN offers a variety of services that you may subscribe to.
    I guess from what I see I don't have to cancel anything. Am I correct assuming this?
    Also it looks from what I am reading there is no longer going to be support for OneCare that were bought in a box.
    Thanks in advance for any information.
    Bob

Friday, July 3, 2009 12:31 AM

Answers

• Since you used a retail key to activate the subscription, you can choose to uninstall OneCare at any time and you need do nothing more.
    Have a look at this post for how to uninstall:
    How to Uninstall Windows Live OneCare

As for the end of support, if you do not uninstall, your subscription should actually renew for free for 6 months from expiration and in the Fall you should receive information on how to switch to the free antimalware solution that will replace OneCare - Microsoft Security Essentials, currently being beta tested and due out later this year.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, July 3, 2009 12:41 AM

All replies

• Since you used a retail key to activate the subscription, you can choose to uninstall OneCare at any time and you need do nothing more.
    Have a look at this post for how to uninstall:
    How to Uninstall Windows Live OneCare

As for the end of support, if you do not uninstall, your subscription should actually renew for free for 6 months from expiration and in the Fall you should receive information on how to switch to the free antimalware solution that will replace OneCare - Microsoft Security Essentials, currently being beta tested and due out later this year.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, July 3, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Steve
       Thanks for the information
            bob
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 11:23 PM