Getting data from MS GP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!!!

Following my work at http://forums.microsoft.com/Dynamics/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4317352&SiteID=27...

I need to get some data from MS Great Plains (GP) in order to fill a picklist in my form. I located the table involverd in GP's SQL Database.

I was reviewing all the forum, and only found references for a "future development" of a connector between CRM and GP. They also talks about BizTalk,s but it's not of my interest now. I only want to get some fields from a Database!

Could be possible read the data straight from the SQL database and fill the Picklist in client side, using JScript and some kind of query? Or I must to do it at server side only, through ADO.NET? What about the GP's users and permissions with this approach?

I know that this could not be a "best practice" ever!!! Any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, January 26, 2009 4:07 PM

Answers

• This is possible using IFrames - You use an IFrame which points to a custom ASP.NET page which gets data from GP using SQL Stored Procedure or using GPConnNet.dll (This is an assembly which allows you to access GP data ensuring GP security. You can request this from your MS partner/partnersource)

Hope this helps.

However, you need to ask yourself if you really need this realtime integration. Just out of curiousity, I would like to know what data are you planning to read from GP and show in Crm picklists?
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 6:06 AM